COILOVERS in the way of 17x9 (275x40x17)

mstangtony

Established Member
Needing some help. I bought my Cobra with Hyperco Coilovers and now buying new wheels. I wanted to put 17x9 with 275, however they are rubbing on them. apparently the previous owner had 17x7or8 with 245 tires on them. Im pretty sure the offset is much differ than stock cobra wheels. I took pictures of the back of the 17x7 but don't know if the numbers back there are any help. I think I may have to change the suspension and go to shocks and springs, rather coilovers. any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6326.JPG
    IMG_6326.JPG
    969.2 KB · Views: 147

I'D WIN

Established Member
Do you have any other photos of your suspension setup?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you wanting to go with stock 17x9's or are you looking at aftermarket rims?

mstangtony

Established Member
Are you wanting to go with stock 17x9's or are you looking at aftermarket rims?

I actually bought slicks for the back bought Forgestar's. And I want to match the back with same style. Finally was able to sell my old wheels and was about to buy the Forgestar 17x9 for the front and I tested some stock 17x9 cobra wheels with 275 tires on them and they touch the coil. the Cobra wheels were my buddys he let me try on before making the purchase, im glad i did this. it has to be a special offset to make them fit. if i have to use the spacers so be it, but wit the spacers the stock wheels stick out of course. but dont touch the coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

mstangtony

Established Member
I'm sorry guys I forgot to mention. The fronts had 17x7(or 8 I don't really know the width) and it also had 1.5in spacers. On them for clearance to not hit/rub on the coilovers.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can you measure the diameter of the coil spring? Maybe you can swap it for a narrower spring. If the tire is just touching you might be able to loosen the bolts holding the strut to the spindle and tilt the spindle out. There's a little play in those holes. It might give you the room you need.

mstangtony

Established Member
Can you measure the diameter of the coil spring? Maybe you can swap it for a narrower spring. If the tire is just touching you might be able to loosen the bolts holding the strut to the spindle and tilt the spindle out. There's a little play in those holes. It might give you the room you need.

I could measure when i get home from work. i can def check the strut bolts see if there is any play and maybe tilt it. that would be nice if that works. I have a feeling I may have to take the coilovers off and just do strut and springs.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I could measure when i get home from work. i can def check the strut bolts see if there is any play and maybe tilt it. that would be nice if that works. I have a feeling I may have to take the coilovers off and just do strut and springs.
You shouldn't need to go back to a separate spring and strut set up. I have MM coil overs with 275's and no clearance issues.

mstangtony

Established Member
You shouldn't need to go back to a separate spring and strut set up. I have MM coil overs with 275's and no clearance issues.

No kidding!? then yeah i need to check it out... i was just thinking, i wonder if maybe its touching because its on jack stands, and if i bolt the wheel on and lower it, it will clear just fine. it maybe cutting it close, but wheel would have to wobble to get to it..

01yellercobra

Established Member
No kidding!? then yeah i need to check it out... i was just thinking, i wonder if maybe its touching because its on jack stands, and if i bolt the wheel on and lower it, it will clear just fine. it maybe cutting it close, but wheel would have to wobble to get to it..

It's possible. The camber at full droop isn't the same as at ride height. I can say I don't have clearance issues with mine at full droop, but I have MM everything up front.

mstangtony

Established Member
It's possible. The camber at full droop isn't the same as at ride height. I can say I don't have clearance issues with mine at full droop, but I have MM everything up front.

I Have MM all, but the coilovers (Hypercoil) ill def try the adjustment and maybe lowering the supension. if none of this works. maybe getting 1/4in spacers for the front. only thing i can think of

fitforspeed

Established Member
I have maximums coilovers front and rear, no clearance issues here. It looks like you could definitely run a shorter spring in there. The Hypercoils are available in many different lengths, weights, etc. my Cobras been on 17's, 18's, even 19's. None narrower than 9 inches and all without clearance issues. You could also put some additional positive camber on the front and I think that just might solve your issue. Hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a pm If you have any other ?'s. Also Maximum Motorsports has always been great about answering ?'s whether your buying or not so you could call or Email them as well. They are pretty knowledgeable over there.

fitforspeed

Established Member
I should have said less negative camber, don't want to confuse. Never would I run positive camber. Just meant to move the top of the tire away from the strut.

mstangtony

Established Member
I should have said less negative camber, don't want to confuse. Never would I run positive camber. Just meant to move the top of the tire away from the strut.

Hey thanks for that input! The only thing about moving the camber is the tire eventually wearing out from not being set right due to camber. The spring thing is an idea. I know the spring moves when I held it. Interesting. My first coilovers so. Not familiar with them.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hey thanks for that input! The only thing about moving the camber is the tire eventually wearing out from not being set right due to camber. The spring thing is an idea. I know the spring moves when I held it. Interesting. My first coilovers so. Not familiar with them.

I think the toe has more affect on the tire wear than the camber. I'm at -1.6/-1.7 and the tires are wearing decent. I do tend to take turns on the aggressive side. A local guy ran his fox at -2.0 for years with no issues.

mstangtony

Established Member
I think the toe has more affect on the tire wear than the camber. I'm at -1.6/-1.7 and the tires are wearing decent. I do tend to take turns on the aggressive side. A local guy ran his fox at -2.0 for years with no issues.

well i ended up putting the Stock Cobra wheels with 275s on them, lowered her and they dont touch, but the tire and coilovers are a few hairs away from touching. i dont know how good that it. i moved it in and out of the garage and adjusting the parking left and right without heading anything or any issues. but who knows what the real drive will be like. the wheels are perfect fit and not going pass the fender. still worried of the tire being so close to the coilover.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I had this issue as well when i switched to a different wheel design with a little different offset. I elongated the top bolt hole in the strut and this allows you to swing strut in some. Doing this will throw your alignment off so that will need adjusted.

mstangtony

Established Member
I had this issue as well when i switched to a different wheel design with a little different offset. I elongated the top bolt hole in the strut and this allows you to swing strut in some. Doing this will throw your alignment off so that will need adjusted.

I ended up adding a 5/16 spacer in the front, and that seems to have given me plenty of room for the coil over and wheel to do full turns and such, i drove it around for a few miles, went through bumps and such. seems to have worked. the wheels are flush with the outer fender top wise. I think that may do it. but those are just the stock wheels, i will have to order the ones i want but instead of +25 stock 17x9, i will need +20 17x9 or I will get a 17x8.5. what yall think?

josephcostello

Established Member
I ended up adding a 5/16 spacer in the front, and that seems to have given me plenty of room for the coil over and wheel to do full turns and such, i drove it around for a few miles, went through bumps and such. seems to have worked. the wheels are flush with the outer fender top wise. I think that may do it. but those are just the stock wheels, i will have to order the ones i want but instead of +25 stock 17x9, i will need +20 17x9 or I will get a 17x8.5. what yall think?
I have the same coilover set up in the front, and no rubbing. 18x9s, I can figure out the offset if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread