COLD AIR INDUCTION WORTHLESS ON 03 COBRA

King Cobra 03

Established Member
i'm going nuts looking for the magazine that i read this in, but in 96-97 svt had developed a car almost exactly like the 03, the diffrence being and older easton of course, but along with the water to air intercooler, they had the a/c unit running through the heat exchanger, it proudced around 600 horses(like i said i'm looking for the mag when i find it i'll put exact numbers). but ford would not produce it, they said it was not right for the consumer market.:cryying:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Yeah, that was cool. they were using the AC to supercool the charge below ambient.
JT

mattf2's99SS

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552

Well, I don't know how you reached these conclusions from this thread.
1) The AC thing is a big mistake. The main thing that determines what temperature the car runs at is the thermostat. You can leave the A/C run all you want, if the rad gets cold , the thermostat will just close off. Like '03 Cobra said, all you are doing is making the condensor core in front of the radiator hot.

JT

I know you guys don't know me, but JT does. I agree w/ his post about running the A/C , you will heat the system more w/ the compressor running. Also, if the folks at the race track see condensation from the A/c running all over their starting line, they'll give you some $hit about it.

There is an easy way around this, though. Pull the connector from the A/C compressor. The fans will run, but your A/C won't. On my car, I put a pull apart connector in line w/ the hot wire for the compressor clutch.

At least this works w/ chevies.

Great discussion, though.

JT, maybe you could back me up in the kill story section. I did quote your post from te LS1 board.

Matt

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Maybe your right on this one. I do understand the condensor & coil on an AC unit. I am assuming they work like the ones in our homes?

That said, the heat exchange radiator (condensor) only gets so hot. Its based on the temp of the air in your car where the other exchange happens. I dont think it gets that hot, but on a hot day it would. Your right it would still cause us to drag warmer air across the radiator. I guess it would be better to simply run the heat and the main fan.

Need a switch.

KingKobra

Established Member
Wow, lots to read! Here's some of confu-cius comments:

If running the heater cools the engine, then the intercooler is just a useful in providing cooler air, even if only a little.

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, so if 30-degree air goes in one cobra and 60-degree air goes in another cobra, the 30-degree cobra will initially have more oxygen per cubic inch and provide more boost due to the molecules being closer together from the get-go. Colder air would benefit, regardless of how hot it becomes, since it takes energy to make it hot...

Conf-ucius ask, try to boil 2 pots of water with the same amount of water. Pot #1 should be 30-degrees, pot #2 should be 90-degrees... see which one boils first. If you say Pot #1 will take longer to boil, you win, and the point is clear, all the factors (colder initial heat, supercharger, intercooler) contribute in little ways to keep the air compressed and cooler.

BBriBro

Established Member
There is mass confusion here. I do not own a cobra and therefore do not know exactly how its set up. but the principle is the same regardless. Some one mentioned that the condensor is hot, and your bringing hot air from the condensor through the radiator, this is true, thats why I posted that you have the a/c on with the engine off, that way you are producing no heat whether it be from the compressed freon, or from combustion itself. Someone else posted that the thermostat controls the fan, so if the engine is not hot, the fan will not come on. Again, this is from Non-Cobra experience, but most late model cars with electric fans have one that is controlled by the thermostat, and they have another fan controlled by the a/c switch, that comes on any time the a/c is on, regardless of engine temp, this is to draw air through the condensor to make the a/c system more efficient when sitting still.

Users who are viewing this thread