Cold Air Induction

96CynRnr

Established Member
Ladies/Gentlemen

Question to the group, I have a 96 Cobra (#3042) Coupe. It’s been stock for the last 5 years and has been a blast to drive. It’s time to start playing with it, Griggs is on tap to redo the suspension to the GT-40R spec with all coil-overs and sub-frame connectors and the battery has been relocated to the trunk. However, I need comments on cold air inductions and exhaust mainly. I don’t want to modify it too greatly. It will never be supercharged or nitroused. Any suggestions? I left this real open as I really hope to see what others have done that’s been good and bad.

/darin

Ginsu

Established Member
Exhaust would be the next best thing. From what I understand, modifing the shorties on the 4.6 is pointless unless you are going to do long tubes. But the rest would be a good idea. On my 95, the CAI did nothing and from what I have read it does not do much good for the DOHC engines.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I have a 96 Cobra too and I went with the Densecharger. I like lit, as far as Exhaust I have a MAC hpipe with cats and a flowmaster after cat system, sounds like a mother, but to be honest with you it was on there when I bought it so I cant tell you about gains before and after. The Densecharger gave it a good seat of the pants boost. JMO

Alex

Peter

Established Member
Skip the cai. Get yourself longtubes,steeda timing
adjuster and pullies with a good catback
and feel the difference!

96 laser red cobra
Vortech s-trim(10lbs) stock pulley
bbk longtubes
mac catback
andersen power pipe
steeda timing adjuster
msd-4 ignition
battery relocated
SHM chip
aluminum driveshaft
4.10 gears
473 rwhp

96CynRnr

Established Member
Hey Peter --

I am going to guess that the Vortech didnt hurt either? The Steeda timing adjuster...I was looking at that a while back, does it make a difference for the stock motors?

Peter

Established Member
The power pipe is available for NA cars, the timing
adjuster really seems to vary from one motor to
another I actually used the adj. to lower my timing
to about 8. Steeda claims about a 15 hp increase
with adj. and pulley's.
You still have stock gears?(96cynRnr)

96CynRnr

Established Member
Yes I still have stock gears. The car is completly stock, well except for Steeda brake pads. LOL. Gee I feel I have to have something. I was looking at the DenseCharger CAI Kit and Alex (above) has been really cool about sending me pics of his installation under the STB on a 96. I know pulleys and CAI are the first things I am going to do...it's just a matter of which ones. I will do exhaust at the same time Griggs tears apart the front end to put in the new K-member and coil-overs, however I really like the way the car sounds now...and I don't want it any louder...so that research will be next. Where can I find info on the Anderson CAI kit?

WASNTME

Established Member
I have the steeda pulleys and am happy with the quality also if you ever decide to go with the timing adjuster it will work with there pulleys the November 5.0 mag did a nice write up on mufflers including decibel out put get the gears at least 410 i went with 373 and already bought new ones

blackfang

Established Member
Personally, I would get gears 4.10's/4.30's no less. Then get a densecharger. After that get a O/R h pipe and cat back. A good aftermarket shifter would also help out, with some pulleys and a T/A.
Me I am getting 4.10's and then a NX125 kit.

Peter

Established Member
What's this densecharger, anyone who's running
factory stock NMRA is running anderson power pipes.
Ian Mullane's 99 cobra ran a best 12.15@111mph
with x-pipe,flowmasters,4.56 gears and an Anderson power pipe.
This on BFG drag radials.(no power adders):-D

96CynRnr

Established Member
Peter
The Densecharge is a CAI kit from Densecharger I think ... lol. Alex in this post is running it on a 96 Cobra and the issues that Alex and I face is the factory STB on the top of motor rubbing or just plain interfering with the installation of most CAI kits.

Max... How did you get your motor so clean?! Also have you had any problems with the MAF sensor?

/darin

Edit -- > http://www.densecharger.com

I had to look it up. :read:

Last edited:

max

Established Member
Originally posted by 96CynRnr
Max... How did you get your motor so clean?! Also have you had any problems with the MAF sensor?

I installed the Pro M 77 when the car was less than 6 months old, and its never given me a bit of trouble. The engine is clean because I don't let it get dirty. :D Actually the only time I've ever put water on it is when I spray Simple Green on the belt tensioner/water pump area and I rinse that particular area. The rest of the compartment/engine is wiped with a damp cloth.

max

Established Member
CynRnr, the pic link shows mine without the strut tower brace. It fits fine with the UPR. However, I only have it installed when I'm at the open track race circuits when side forces do exert pressure against the shock towers. For the 1/4 mile driving, I don't need it along with the extra weight.

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
I gotta know what the blue X is on the upper radiator hose connecting junction thing (man am I technical or what??) I asked not too long ago but no one seemed to know? Mine has it too.

BTW, that is a VERY clean engine bay, Max!!!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread