Cold Start Noise

99Venom

I ♥ Internal Combustion
Established Member
Whenever I start the car for the first time cold, I get a loud (what sounds like piston slap) noise for 2-3 seconds and then it vanishes. If I shut the car down and try starting it up a few minutes later the noise is diminished and barely lasts a second. This is the only time I ever hear the noise. It's basically the same situation you get right after an oil change and it takes just slightly longer than normal for oil pressure to build. This engine has 108k on it, and I've always had some piston slap during warmup and it always goes away, and I've never had it this loud at initial start up. I just changed the oil recently and that didn't change anything.

Seems like some component has excessive wear, but I'm curious as to how detrimental it is? Any ideas?

1999marg

Established Member
There is a ton of info on this topic. It is not a big deal, if you want it to go away just build your oil pressure up before starting. My car is stored for long periods sometimes weeks or months. It is a simple procedure.

Pin the throttle to the floor (all the way the TPS has to tell the computer you are at WOT).

Turn the key normally . (the engine will turn over but not start as long as your foot is pined to the floor during the entire attempt to start) Let it turn over for 6 to 10 seconds.

Once this is done simple start the car normally. This is also useful to build up oil pressure after changing your oil.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread