College: Car Situation...

MattP 343

Established Member
I am a senior this year and am already starting to think about what I am going to do for college, especially with my car. Should I drive it daily and hope it doesn't take a horrible beating or try to get a cheap DD, Help?
My sister came home from Baylor last weekend and her Explorer was beat up pretty bad, I dont think it was vandalized but it had door dings all over the place and I dont want that to happen to my car.

So I guess Im just curious what you guys did in college: Did you get a daily driver and leave your nice car at home? Just park way far away from everything?

Im thinking about trying to get a bike and stuff but im still not sure how I would work that out. Im just trying to learn from everyone who has been through this before. Thanks.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I go to UMD and my car is parked on the 5th floor of a garage on campus. Done well with it so far. When my old car was out in a lot, it was fine as well. I think you should be fine. We have a car club on campus with many $30k+ cars and very few have had problems with theirs. Of course, this county is known for its crime so certain things will happen.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
timpryor said:
i drive my cobra daily with no problems yet(knocks on wood) but i also find the other mustangs/nice cars and park next to them

I do the same. It also helps that the parking lot spaces are wide as hell, you could almost fit two cars in each space.

MattP 343

Established Member
Yeah Im not really worried as much about my car being stolen as I am about it being beat beat, covered with dings, etc.

My parents want me to leave it at home because they say I will be better off just getting a DD but I think its just cause they want to drive it lol

PSI87

Banned
Personally, I'm trying to sell or trade my truck in favor of something smaller for when I transfer to a big university this Jan. It's too much of a headache trying to park it and navigate etc. I wouldn't worry too much about college students damaging your car though; they are usually pretty conscious about that sort of thing. I think the elderly and middle aged soccer moms are probably the least considerate in that department.

PhotonSabreX

Motor City Slicker
Established Member
I don't know what UMD's campus is like, but I know when I was in school, my college town was so impossible to have a car in that I just left my shit at my parents house. After I got an apt after my sophomore year along with a parking spot, it was obviously much more manageable.

If your folks live close to school, I would just say save yourself the anxiety and leave your car in your parents' garage if possible.

adamb258

Established Member
my opinion, its a car drive it. What fun is it sitting at home? dings can be fixed. To me fixing a few dings for $50 is worth driving my car year round not just a few months a year.

BTW 3rd year in college never had a ding , only incident was someone stole my "chromies" once
:lol:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
id get a cheap DD, something around 1-2K and just drive it till it dies. The stang will stay nicer and the mileage wont be racked up with needless miles. now im not saying make it a garage queen but i love coming home seeing my still clean car sitting in the garage

IEatGt's

FormerGarageQueenPro
Established Member
I work on a college campus. When I started working here, I bought a 94 Ford Ranger supercab for $3000. It's the best money I've ever spent. The L stays in the garage, and I have a solid DD. I'm not really concerned with door dings, etc., because I bought the Ranger for the sole purpose of being a "campus car". It has worked out great. Ironically, I haven't had any damage yet. *knock on wood*

buy a beater... that way you won't have to worry about it being molested.

just my $0.02

coakeson

Established Member
I drive my cobra to college and I just park as far away as possible or I try to park next to a Mercedes or Lexus. The only real thing that you need to worry about is the rednecks and their big trucks that don't care about them and park them how they want. Earlier this week I had parked where there were no cars around and by the time I got outta class there were still no cars around except for the retard that backed in right next to me with his beat up 4runner. I don't understand why people will park next to someone when there are tons of other open spots.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
I'm going to buy an 03-05 civic to drive to college. I don't care what happens to it, but know that the chances of someone banging your pretty Cobra is great. I was scared to death leaving my Cobra on campus and all that.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I dont know how it is at your schools, but here, there are a shit load of rich kids. Daddys little girl gets a brand new benz. The whole "buy a shitty car" faded out long ago. You shouldnt have any problems on campus, just park farther away. That extra 20 feet in walking is well worth the security.

Asd60303

Lead. Never Follow
Established Member
I drive my cobra to college everyday, I only go to a junior college. I haven't had any dings yet-i always park in the end spot and put my passenger side tires on the line. This leaves alot of room for the car next to me.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
If you have to drive the car, park in places where one side is next to a building or an island or such, so that only one side will be next to another vehicle.

Also, I highly suggest that you buy a reliable older truck. Any early 90's GM fullsize, or S10 or a Ranger would be great.

I drove both my cars, but I got a parking pass that allowed me to park in the professor spaces (not with the general students), so generally I protected myself. Also, try to park away from student foot-traffic, so people won't be enticed to do anything as they walk past.

Good luck.

CaDDy

Banned
Asd60303 said:
I drive my cobra to college everyday, I only go to a junior college. I haven't had any dings yet-i always park in the end spot and put my passenger side tires on the line. This leaves alot of room for the car next to me.

+2 Good Idea!!!!

I do (did) this at C.O.D when I drive my Mustang... hasnt failed me yet. Although make sure you pull in and out perfectly straight or good-bye rims, especially since you got the 18's that I like :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread