Color matched tail lights

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
I tried the search and got jack squat. I want to see if any of you have color matched their tails. and how you did this. I just got some new tails to replace the originals that are pretty faded and just plain sucky. I'm going to clean the originals and color match the to the truck. I have an 03 ox white lightning. Pics of all colors welcome. I love seeing these trucks.

1: How did you do this

2 how did you like it after?

o and the truck is in the paint shop getting the rims painted white to match and from there it's going to get lowered with belltech 2" spindles and ford 1" spring and 4" rear hanger shackle kit with 1 helper leaf removed. Got this combo from MJG in the lowered lightning thread.

92Snatch

Established Member
I did that mod on my black 01L....It takes ALOT of rubbing and time to get all the chrome in the tight places..lol But they turned out REALLY good :) U could follow the directions on seperating them and have ur painter spray them the same color as ur truck while hes doing ur rims and then u can seal them back up and put them on ur truck

Last edited:

MJG

Established Member
it was the belltech 3" shackle hanger kit with 1 leaf removed lol but the 4" should do you right since you have an 03 vs my 01, you have beefier springs

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I just put some ebay black tails on 2 minutes ago and next I'm going to take apart the stockers and spray them DSG. If i don't like it I will just go back to black.

83 5oh

Wait, Wait...Thats a Cat?
Established Member
yeah i got that drop kit wrong my bad. yeah i bought mine off of slickcar. 80 a piece sounded alot better than 487 from ford. the body shop dude is a friend of mine. He's gonna let me use his booth to spray the lights and my 86 gt. I'm a painter only reason he's doing the work on the truck is i want a paper trail of all the work done on the lightning. The tailgate had a dent put in it when the trailer i was towing lost the nut on the ball and when i went to get my car off the trailer swung up, in and down. It wasn't bad minus the scratch and small dent. The rear window was broken due to some vandalism when some kids threw a rock and broke the led light plastic trim and window. It's all painted just waiting on the wheels. I'll get some pics up when it gets out in a day or two.

L2_the_sequel

Established Member
ill do you one better, here is some with oxford white painted stocker...it is not my truck though.

025.jpg

i hope that helps. i thought about doing this to mine as i have a white L as well. but after seeing the pic i dont know if i'm going to or not. i like it but i dont. i went white with all the plastic and my grills, but i dont know about the lights.

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
I got HD tails (red) on mine. It looks good :thumbsup:

I have the early model red L stockers on now, but ran into a guy some months ago that has a set of stock HD tails (clear) he said he would sell for 50/pr
I sure hope he still has em:bash:

fdx

Established Member
Those tails on the white & silver L's man wow! really set off those trucks. job well done guys

fdx

Established Member
would acetone work as well for removing the chrome? Would it discolor the black tho? And on a black L instead of the clear silicone would black give it a diff look? what do you guys think

Users who are viewing this thread