Colorado Chain Laws Help

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
Driving out there for a ski vacation in January, and I found basic definitions of what I need, but I can't figure out if I need to purchase chains for 2 or all 4 of my wheels on the 2WD Suburban I'll be driving.

Can anyone tell me how many chains I need?

invisiblefrisbe

Praying for the unborn
Established Member
Colorado does not requires chains for passenger vehicles on semi tractors traveling on the major interstates during the winter months.

Commercial Vehicle Permits — CDOT

"on" Semis? Assuming you mean "or", what about travel on roads other than major interstates? I will have to travel a state highway to get to the resort, in a area known for snow (thus the existence of a ski resort).

Edit:
Found this site that appears to be run by CDOT indicating that passenger cars can be required to have chains.
http://cotrip.org/faq.htm#chainlaws
Still no indication on the number of tires that must have the chains.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
"on" Semis? Assuming you mean "or", what about travel on roads other than major interstates? I will have to travel a state highway to get to the resort, in a area known for snow (thus the existence of a ski resort).

Edit:
Found this site that appears to be run by CDOT indicating that passenger cars can be required to have chains.
Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation
Still no indication on the number of tires that must have the chains.

That was from the same FAQ I posted. It clearly indicates that it is a rare event that passenger vehicles will be required to have chains.

In such an event you probably shouldnt be on the road anyway.

Passenger cars are not required to have chains in their car. On rare occasions road conditions may be so severe that law enforcement requires all vehicles use chains but occurrences are exceedingly rare.

More common is the requirement for all vehicles to have adequate snow tires or tire chains. Adequate snow tires are defined as tires marked M/S (mud/snow) or studded snow tires with tread depth of 1/8th inch or greater. Four wheel drive engaged is considered an alternative to adequate snow tires or chains for passenger vehicles.

However, if it is such a grave concern you might as well get four sets.

blown 96'

Established Member
I grew up in colorado and will say you will not need them for your car. roads will be fine.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
mustang_chains-Medium-doing-it-wrong-fail.jpg

6.0GTO

Established Member
That was from the same FAQ I posted. It clearly indicates that it is a rare event that passenger vehicles will be required to have chains.

In such an event you probably shouldnt be on the road anyway.

However, if it is such a grave concern you might as well get four sets.

He is right. Occasionally if the mountain passes are especially bad chains may be required for any vehicle(even 4x4's) These times a are few and far between from my experience. CDOT does a good job of keeping access good to through the major mountain passes. Cell reception is usually good too. Must be all that money in the resorts...

98slowbra

Established Member
As far as I know it is not required by law to have the chains on a SUV or car, if the roads are bad they might pull you over untill the road is clear so you can travel on it. But as far as I know you can not get a ticket for this. If you are going up to ski in the mts drive during the day, where I have gone there are no street lights and it is pitch black out there duing the night and a white knuckle drive down the mtn or up the mtn at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread