Come in if You've Melted Your Gas Vent Tubes

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
So I've had my Lethal Over Axle Pipes on now for 2-3 months on my '14 Track Pack and a week ago it became very, VERY difficult to fill up the gas tank. It would only fill up about a tenth of a gallon before the gun fuel nozzle clicks.

Took it to the dealership and they won't cover it under warranty because of the exhaust modifications. They are saying that it melted the vent tube(s) shut and want to charge me ~$400. :eek:

I think that's quite a chunk of change to replace a melted tube don't you think?

Thoughts? Is this something I can do myself? I've used the search feature and I've found a few of you who've run into melted vent tubes due to over axle pipes. Here's a link I've found that is similar: Trouble filling the fuel tank

I'd rather do this myself instead of payout $400 of my paxton money!

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Seems AFTER I did my ota pipes I started to see threads like this. I saw the issue when I installed my pipes. I had some left over exhaust wrap from years ago and just wrapped my pipes to avoid this and to avoid the metallic clank if the pipes did contact anything. People please think outside the box and look at everything when you mod your car! OP sorry this happened now go fix it yourself and save more cash to buy that Paxton and go fast!!!

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Seems AFTER I did my ota pipes I started to see threads like this. I saw the issue when I installed my pipes. I had some left over exhaust wrap from years ago and just wrapped my pipes to avoid this and to avoid the metallic clank if the pipes did contact anything. People please think outside the box and look at everything when you mod your car! OP sorry this happened now go fix it yourself and save more cash to buy that Paxton and go fast!!!

Right? I've been lurking on the forums a good while before getting my 5.0, and I had never run across that issue before. If I would have known that the factory heat shield wasn't enough, I would have taken some preventative steps to save me the future hassle.

Oh just cut the melted section and replace it with some good quality fuel line

Yep, I contacted Racerat and I think I'm going to go his route and replace it with some high temp rubber hosing (thanks bud!). I'll look in to fuel lines as well. Probably going to do some heat wrapping in the the areas where it gets close like five.slow did.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, I'm going to tell the dealership to leave it alone. I'll do it myself and come back and update this thread so other people with this problem get some good help!

zachcrosen

Established Member
Mine is melted too and I haven't done anything with it either. No idea how long it's been like that!

Alejandro5.0

Established Member
I've had mine on for over a year and haven't had a problem,
Now I'm paranoid and gunna lift up the car and check for melted whatever

phfelts

Established Member
I haven't had any trouble filling up the car, but my stock OTA pipes still melted this tube slightly after I smacked them on a big speed bump. I guess I got lucky it didn't melt all the way through!

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Update:

I got time to get under the car this weekend and fixed the problem. Ford said I needed to replace two tubes for $400. You can fix this yourself with $5 without heatshielding.

After taking the lethal oap off, you can see the melted plastic from the stock hose.

D8D5D55C-F2F9-400D-9DCD-B84C61051D3C_zpszq4zgip5.jpg

Here's the stock hose.

2DB010C4-3222-4B92-A8DE-12471D087F31_zpswjdu06fz.jpg

Here's where the tube was removed. It's only a 5 inch tube connecting the metal tubing to the splitter.

629E8E13-0901-40F7-9216-DC7D9BFB404D_zpsuzl4spad.jpg

I bought a foot of high temp hosing from Napa, cut 5 inch section and placed it in two spark plugs sleeves (below hose) which were perfectly sized, and some exhaust wrap.

ABC64323-F65F-4553-9D12-9DA1877BC12B_zps6yninn4z.jpg

New hose

57A4C6A1-4F46-42D3-9055-F62B1CA7503A_zpsvjkjoyl8.jpg

Here's the pipe with the exhaust wrap.

AC273F17-AAE7-4D7E-AA7D-FB597C511016_zpsaufkx440.jpg

And here's everything bolted back together. Took me about an hour when I had all the materials.

163BDAE5-1973-4D91-A9CE-249497A4B1C2_zps1l5upaiu.jpg

The hardest part of this was getting the melted hose and heat shielding off. Keep in mind this was on the passenger side. The drivers side looked good and had plenty of clearance from the exhaust pipe so I didn't even mess with it.

Problem was solved after I finished. The 3 minutes to fill up the tank felt like 5 seconds compared to the 30 minutes with the melted tube.

I have to do some data logging tomorrow so after some wot pulls I'll let it cool down and check out how it holds up. Pretty confident that it'll never happen again!

Hope this helps people with similar problems!

KonaFifty

Established Member
that hose that U's back downward and vents, what is that hose used for? for some reason i thought that was the hose melting and giving the problem. i took that whole plastic hose off completely as it only vented anyway. now it is just venting to the panhard brace and dangling a little from rubber section...

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
that hose that U's back downward and vents, what is that hose used for? for some reason i thought that was the hose melting and giving the problem. i took that whole plastic hose off completely as it only vented anyway. now it is just venting to the panhard brace and dangling a little from rubber section...

That is the vent hose that directly vents from the tank to the atmosphere. The hose I replaced goes from the fuel door neck to the tank I'm pretty sure. If you have a melted vent tube,try blowing some air through the U-shaped tube that vents to the atmosphere. You may be able to blow little or nothing at all if your tubes are melted. Once I replaced the line, I blew some air through the U-shaped tube and could hear air being pushed in the tank. That's how I knew that my 'fix' worked before ever putting the car back on the ground.

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
Nice heat shielding Ford....

Edit, after reading the other post, has anyone had the melting with the stock cats on?

When I was doing my forum searching to find what the hell is going on with my car, I found a few people on stock OTA pipes who had melted their vent tubes while at the track. I don't know about stock cats though

boards04

Same thing happened to my car. I have a 2013 mustang gt. I removed the whole tube and still having a problem pumping gas. It just clicks right off. Does anyone have any other ideas before I spend $400 fixing this.

wheelspin

Established Member
My 14 with Lethal pipes did the same thing. Threw an emissions code. I cut out the section affected by the exhaust and replaced it with steel. Put the glass wrapping back and it's been fine since last summer.

Users who are viewing this thread