Comp Cam stage 2 blower cams for 99 cobra

2001SilvrGT

Established Member
I have a 99 cobra with a fully built motor. The engine was built for boost, I have a D1SC on the car. I want to swap out the stock cams and want to throw in a set of comp cam stage 2 blower cams. The pistons I'm running are .020 over diamond 5cc dish pistons. The heads are not ported but i have upgrade the valve springs to BTR Racing Valve springs. I'm running a .060 thick cometic head gasket. Anyone think I'm going to have any Piston to valve clearance issues? Or should step down to a stage 1 Cam. I dont drive the car every day, car never seen track.

Any other info would help Thanks.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
What's your current pulley combo/boost level? Could you dial in more boost and keep the oem cams?
Are you looking for horsepower from them or just the sound I see lots of guys in here say to justify the purchase?
You could run meth injection on top of your blower for some nice power increases.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Get custom cams instead. You'll need to measure PTV on any cam you install. Your CC dish on your piston doesn't matter on PTV. Are your pistons notched? If you advance the intake cam you can run into PTV with the 230 duration.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
FWIW I ran comps stage 3 blower cams in my stock 4.6. I got a great deal on them and I knew I was going FI so I picked them up. No issues with PTV here.

-Mark

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
How do I go about custom cams?

Contact NASVT aka Todd. He can get you a set of customs shipped for less than off the shelfs. They will perform better. Only way I'd run "stage" anything cams is if I got a great deal on them and knew I was going to give up some power for cost savings. But no reason to buy new when custom are cheaper.

Mach828

Established Member
Cam costs add up quick if you do it right. You'll need to degree the cams so don't forget new cam gears.

I wouldn't swap cams unless you are at the max with that D1 and are trying to squeeze out all the hp you can. You'll get more bang for your buck spinning the D1 harder and running e85.

03Steve

Established Member
Search 03Steve + 106360 on here and youtube. I run them on my 99 Cobra and they work very very well.

2001SilvrGT

Established Member
What happens if you don't degree them the car will run like shit? I though cams in these cars were like a swap like an LS motor besides changing the springs sorry I'm a noob to this stuff

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
What happens if you don't degree them the car will run like shit? I though cams in these cars were like a swap like an LS motor besides changing the springs sorry I'm a noob to this stuff

On a 4v your LSA is adjustable based on how you degree your cams. Adjusting the LSA fine tunes the performance of the cams and engine. Also, dot to dot on these cars can very several degrees. A proper set of degreed custom cams will make offer 50-60rwhp increase.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member

It is preferred to degree them but if you line them up dot to dot. The car will run fine. You just may leave some hp on the table.

-Mark

Users who are viewing this thread