Comparison -- 350Z vs. '96 Cobra?

JMHCobra

Established Member
I'm currently running a '96 Cobra in close to stock trim (mod list in my signature ... haha, if you can even call it a list!). I'm curious how my car would fair against a similarly lightly modded 350Z in straight-line performance. A fella' I know is constantly talking jive about his super-trendy, mega-hip 350Z, especially with respect to earlier model Cobras. I'm considering calling him out to show him my paltry 7000rpm breathing '96 is no slouch.

All the specs I've read online seem to indicate, from a stop, it's a driver's race, and from a roll, it's more favorable for the Cobra (assuming I'm in the right gear ;) ).

I'm pretty confident in my driving abilities, but I still wanted to come here and get a few opinions/points of view from anyone who has raced 'em.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
Ive beat them before...all I have is a K&N and exhast...you shouldnt have a problem...post the kill when your done with him =0]

Peter

Established Member
Originally posted by JMHCobra
I'm currently running a '96 Cobra in close to stock trim (mod list in my signature ... haha, if you can even call it a list!). I'm curious how my car would fair against a similarly lightly modded 350Z in straight-line performance. A fella' I know is constantly talking jive about his super-trendy, mega-hip 350Z, especially with respect to earlier model Cobras. I'm considering calling him out to show him my paltry 7000rpm breathing '96 is no slouch.

All the specs I've read online seem to indicate, from a stop, it's a driver's race, and from a roll, it's more favorable for the Cobra (assuming I'm in the right gear ;) ).

I'm pretty confident in my driving abilities, but I still wanted to come here and get a few opinions/points of view from anyone who has raced 'em.

you should win!

Pete:thumbsup:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I love how every time some new import "sport car" comes out they brag about how fast it is and how it is a "Mustang beater" Yeah the new 350's are neat. I'm not real hip on their styling, but they are nice cars. That being said, it still isn't a Mustang beater, let alone a Cobra beater. As long as you have learned how to drive the Cobra, he's toast. I say that since you may be new to this car and not had enough seat time to learn where it works best.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
What kills me is that the 350z's are only 2 seaters, priced like an 03 Cobra, have less Hp., and weigh about as much. Besides, stock to stock I saw a SRT-10 neon take one the other day by a nose.

JMHCobra

Established Member
I don't particularly like the new design of the 350Z. It's stylish, sure, but in a sort of fat-Porsche way. It reminds me of a 911 on steroids. Far too European, for my tastes.

I've been driving the Cobra for about a year. I haven't been to the track, nor have I had more than a dozen races. I've only had two from a stop ... one against a fart-can civic that I could've beaten in reverse, and the other a late 90s model TA that was cut short because somebody in a BMW ran a red light and turned in front of us. He was spinning BADLY though, and I had about a car on him by the end of the intersection.

We'll see what happens. As is often times the case with people with slower, better handling cars, he'll probably decline a head-to-head race and ask for an autocross. ;-) (No offense intended for any auto-x'ers out there!)

Lethal Cobra

Established Member
i work at a nissan dealership and i own a 98 cobra. After driving over 30 350z there isnt a doubt in my mind that the cobra would rape the z. If anyone is thinking about buying a z car i would not recommend it. Many recalls. For 30k i would much rather have 03 cobra.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Lethal Cobra
i work at a nissan dealership and i own a 98 cobra. After driving over 30 350z there isnt a doubt in my mind that the cobra would rape the z. If anyone is thinking about buying a z car i would not recommend it. Many recalls. For 30k i would much rather have 03 cobra.

And this is from a man that knows...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread