Competition Speed & Sound

jlbush

Established Member
This thread is long overdue. As some of you know I had a KB 2.2 that I got back in April and was trying to save up for supporting mods without taking my checking account too low. Well, the waiting part became too much to bare and I just decided to go ahead with it.

The build progressed from just a 2.2, BAP, 60s, TB and MAF... to idlers, triple hat with GT pumps (ditch the BAP), new fuel lines/rails, adapting the plenum for a Dragon TB, JLT big boost intake, and TF intercooler res. I had originally thought I would be getting my cousin to do the install, however, with the build progressing and me just feeling more comfortable if Jason did it from start to finish I decided to just have him do the whole thing.

Then, problems.. problems.. problems. When I bought the KB the previous owner had Reichard Racing modify the plenum and enlarge it, however, this created a huge problem when we were trying to mount the blower to the lower intake...the fuel rails/injectors wouldn't clear the plenum. So call the previous owner up and ask how he had it on there and he said he had aftermarket rails...so we track down some low profile rails, nope no help. So, then, we tried tracking down a blower spacer (even made a little house visit :D ) to no avail...We finally decided to go ahead and take material off the plenum and hopefully not go through, you can probably guess what happened..YUP went through the plenum!! Take the blower back apart (which we did once before to ship the plenum to POSI for the IAC relocation for Dragon TB) get the plenum welded from the inside and were finally able to attach the blower to the lower intake (and I'm understating this, still super tight clearance to tighten everything).

That was just the main issue. There were several other things that we had issues with or problems with. Like me snapping the bolt on the lower idler and having to take off the whole lower and put a heli coil in it. (Special thanks to Ben, I still owe you man!) Oh and also not having the plug and play harnesses for the FPDMs which Jason did an excellent job with. However, I think I'm the first and last one to get him to do a wiring harness like that again! LOL

I'm starting to ramble, but want to give a big thanks to Jason who went way above and beyond for me throughout this install and I can't thank him enough. Although he might kill me for suggesting this since he's been swamped lately, but I can't recommend him enough. He not only has very fair pricing, his work is top notch. He takes the time to do things right, and has the knowledge/skill to do it. I learned a great deal helping (not sure if you could consider it "helping" lol) him and was thankful that he allowed me to learn along the way. The best thing is he has a passion for what he does and is a honest, standup guy. For me that's super important because I know he's going to give me the best advice for my goals and not trying to sell me on something just to make a buck.

This might sound like I'm kissing a$$ and maybe I am a bit because I do want to do an SRA swap here soon :lol: . No, but in all seriousness a lot of people know Jason on here and/or know the quality work he does. However, when I first got active on the boards I heard things about how good he was and after I heard the same thing several times I finally decided to have him work on my car. Maybe if there is someone else out there like me who is extremely anal about who works on their car, then hopefully they can read this and know their car will be in good hands with Jason. I for one will definitely be a return customer :beer:
Now for numbers: Jon Lund tune: 612hp/603tq on torco with 3.0 upper/stock lower (was cold and making around 18psi) Don't know many specifics, and didn't think to ask what timing was for 93 and 93+torco tune. I believe the last pull had more timing for the torco, but the second to last pull which was suppose to be on just pump 93 made 602/595. However, it doesn't totally add up to me because I would think the timing would of been bumped up at least 2 or 3 degrees which I'd think would give me a bigger hp difference. Anyway, I was just so excited to finally get it tuned and texting a bunch of people that I guess I forgot to ask. All I know is that she pulls hard! :beer:

blksvtCOBRA714

Established Member
+1 Jason is a stand-up guy and he helped me with my kenne bell 2.2 install and long tube install among other things. Recommend him for anyone as well. Congrats on the new cobra you have there as well.

jlbush

Established Member
+1 Jason is a stand-up guy and he helped me with my kenne bell 2.2 install and long tube install among other things. Recommend him for anyone as well. Congrats on the new cobra you have there as well.

Thanks man! My 2.2 probably doesn't whine like yours! I'm thinking maybe because of the enlarged plenum :shrug:

Gosh, I wrote way too much! lmao...It didn't look that long when I was writing it in message box lol

wheelhopper

Established Member
Used Jason many times and will continue to do so. He even worked on my diesel once, and I may hound him to do it again.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Cliff notes please, that shit was too long to read

Cliffs:

- Jason of Competition Speed & Sound is a Cobra virtuoso, whos skills and knowledge are endless
- Take your car to him if you want repairs/mods done correctly at a very fair and reasonable price

I too have taken my car to Jason a few times and have always been impressed. Jason is a good dude and a huge asset to all of us guys in the MACA! :rockon:

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Congrats on getting the car together! So you got that magic number ... now go get that 9 second time slip!!!

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
Good news. It's definitely a blessing to have access to Jason like we do. I wonder who directed you to him? Must have been a helluva guy:lol:

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Haha, thanks Jason. You definitely wanted to go above and beyond with the setup and the results/potential show. That plenum was a PITA. Glad I let you cut through it while I worked on the other stuff. LOL But I think from what I have seen posted, the numbers show it is a benefit. Hitting the 600+ mark at a little lower boost than typical for the smaller blowers. and I agree, it is what has quieted the blower down some, but it still screams.

Solid swap is cake. You just need to figure out the parts you want to build it with.

Rodney, so it was you huh? Charging you double for this motor swap now. LOL

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
I think people forget that Jason, Billy and guys like them are MACA. I am sure he has touched almost everyone's car. If it wasn't for these guys, myself and alot of others old and new would have never stayed involved with the group or kept our cars.:beer:

rizjan67

Established Member
competetion

Well Jason installed new spec3 + with 26 spline input shaft ,,irs brace & bushing etc,,,I like his work and he is honest man thats the key in this business,definately be going there again.

TRBO VNM

Say what? Installing a new bullet? Can't keep up the stock eaton/ stock motor guys or what?

:D I knew that little teaser would get someone to respond. But na, its for one of his other vehicles.

Not for the Cobra lol. Cobra's doing just fine:rockon:

Yeah, you will need to do a write-up with your results on that killer chiller in the terminator section since it is one of a kind. I am sure others would like to know how it is working out. I know the weather is getting cooler, but some comparisons would be good.

Last edited:

WildFifty

Established Member
+1 on everything said on this thread. I drive well over an hour just to have Jason diagnose and fix whats going on with the car. I really appreciate the way he runs his business and takes care of his customers and friends. Thanks buddy!

Jason (jlbush) congrats on those numbers man. I bet it pulls really nice.

Last edited:

jlbush

Established Member
Congrats on getting the car together! So you got that magic number ... now go get that 9 second time slip!!!
first i need to take a ton of weight of this pig...4100 with me in the car, guess me being a fat a$$ doesnt help lol

Good news. It's definitely a blessing to have access to Jason like we do. I wonder who directed you to him? Must have been a helluva guy:lol:
yeah you might of directed me, but who chased you down and had you pull over?! lol

Solid swap is cake. You just need to figure out the parts you want to build it with.
. already have the solid that i want...its currently in an 04 comp O...wouldn't you like to say that you went 10s on a stock irs? lol

+1 on everything said on this thread. I drive well over an hour just to have Jason diagnose and fix whats going on with the car. I really appreciate the way he runs his business and takes care of his customers and friends. Thanks buddy!

Jason (jlbush) congrats on those numbers man. I bet it pulls really nice.
. thanks man! hope your car is running good...we gotta cruise sometime soon

Users who are viewing this thread