Compounding out orange peel?

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Color sanding or wet sanding with very fine grit (in the thousands) should help, but you don't want to take off too much of the clear or you will burn through it. Factory paint jobs tend to be thin, so I probably wouln't mess with it. If anything I'd take it to a good body shop, not do it myself. Also, alot of the so called "peel" is probably in the fiberglass itself. I noticed my hood and trunk lid are a bit wavy.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
The orange peel is most likely in the color coat under the clear. The clear is just following the waves on the color coat. You could flatten the clear some but more than likely you'll have the wet sand down to color then re-clearcoat.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Just had my car done with 2000 grain sanding, colors really jumped out! Haven't tried by hand.

FKing1

Established Member
Most orange peel is in the clear coat. Use 2000 grit wet then machine buff with a fine grade polishing compound. This is from a good friend who is in the business.
Fred. K.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by FoMoCoDave
Anyone had luck with compounding some of the orange peel out your paint by hand? Considering giving it a try.

If you want to know how to get rid of orange peel, check out the e-book below. It has a section dedicated to dreaded orange peel. It's also free and it's CHALK-FULL of wonderful advice about everything and anything related to detailing:

Autopia Guide to Detailing

Also, check out http://www.autopia.org whenever you get the chance. They are a site dedicated to detailing and you are bound to get TONS of answers if you ask this very same question over there.

Let me know what you think man :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread