compressed air boost controller, street car

ryan319

Established Member
I'm about to pull the trigger on a boost controller, probably the AMS 500 V2 because I don't need all the bells and whistles of the AMS 1000. Also considering the Boost Leash.

Either way, I'm curious of anyone regularly street drives their car with CO2 for the controller. I'm really curious how much drive time you can get out of a 2.5lb tank. I'm looking at a pump/tank onboard setup but if I can just run a CO2 tank with no wiring that would be easier. I don't want to be filling CO2 tanks on the reg though either. Realistically I will only put a few thousand miles on the car this year and maybe a handful of dyno/track sessions.

Last edited:

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'd just do the boost leash and use a 2.5lb bottle. From the sounds of it you should be able to get thru a summer on a bottle or two. Also for the most part you can just cruise around on gate pressure with the bottle closed, to save some. Then when you wanna really get down just open the bottle.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
My car was running my old twin setup for less than a year, I never refilled the bottle. I actually have my AMS 1000 w/C02 setup for sale if you're interested, I'll sell it for less than a new 500.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just curious, but what is the benefit of running CO2 instead of actual boost pressure?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Just curious, but what is the benefit of running CO2 instead of actual boost pressure?

You add it to the top side of the wastegate. This way you can run a light spring 5-10 PSI and then controll boost by applying CO2 pressure to raise boost. By pulsing the CO2 solenoid you get accurate boost by gear, ramp, multiple settings, etc. I don't think you can use the actual boost pressure for two possible reasons, ease of control by having a constant pressured reference gas and also because I think for this to work right you the ratio between CO2 pressure on the upper port and the boost is >1. Obviously you can't bias the gate with boost pressure if the pressure to the gate has to be more than the boost.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You add it to the top side of the wastegate. This way you can run a light spring 5-10 PSI and then controll boost by applying CO2 pressure to raise boost. By pulsing the CO2 solenoid you get accurate boost by gear, ramp, multiple settings, etc. I don't think you can use the actual boost pressure for two possible reasons, ease of control by having a constant pressured reference gas and also because I think for this to work right you the ratio between CO2 pressure on the upper port and the boost is >1. Obviously you can't bias the gate with boost pressure if the pressure to the gate has to be more than the boost.

Learn something new every day. Thank you.

LordVader04

Established Member
I use an onboard air setup with a small compressor and 1lb air tank. It works great and I have an air line to fill my tires after racing.

LordVader04

Established Member
IMG_2052.JPG
IMG_2049.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG
What setup you using? I would like to look into it.
Thanks
Ken

I bought the VIAIR kit from summit racing, it was about $130

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread