Compression test results

YELOSNK

Established Member
Decided to do a compression test for a health check and pretty happy with the results. All were 150-152, with 4x 150, 1x151, 3x152. Doesn't seem too bad for a 22 year old car.

Edit: the consistency (which I know is the main thing to look for) seems great, but are the results low overall? All plugs were pulled. Engine was warm, not hot. Didn't shut off fuel.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
that seems acceptable. Send an oil sample to blackstone labs they can do an analysis and tell you everything that’s in your oil.

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Numbers seem fine to me. If everything is running fine, no reason to suspect an issue.

A leakdown check will tell you a bit more as it will show you the percentage of air escaping the combustion chamber on the compression stroke.

A compression test is more of a generality. If your compression check showed a single cylinder with dramatically different from the rest (like 100 psi), you can assume that you’re losing air somewhere because it’s 1/3 less than the standard set by the rest.

YELOSNK

Established Member
Numbers seem fine to me. If everything is running fine, no reason to suspect an issue.

A leakdown check will tell you a bit more as it will show you the percentage of air escaping the combustion chamber on the compression stroke.

A compression test is more of a generality. If your compression check showed a single cylinder with dramatically different from the rest (like 100 psi), you can assume that you’re losing air somewhere because it’s 1/3 less than the standard set by the rest.

Thanks, that's about what I figured. I have no reason to suspect anything is wrong and figured compression would be a quick health check. If something seems wrong I'd have put in the extra effort for a leakdown test.

Users who are viewing this thread