Compression Test Results!

bzubke1

Established Member
So i've had some excessive oil consumption lately. About a quart everythousand miles. I decided to do a compression test today and here were the results. BTW I have 101K miles.
Cylinder 1= 160-162
Cylinder 2= 155-157
Cylinder 3= 157-158
Cylinder 4= 142-145 without oil 150-151 with oil.
Cylinder 5= 150-152
Cylinder 6= 160-162
Cylinder 7= 150
Cylinder 8= 150
So, everything looked good to me except cylinder #4. Also when I pulled the #4 plug out it was covered in oil and fouled out. The ring must be worn. I had planned on a heads cam swap in the next few months or so but now i'm wondering if I should get a new shortblock instead. I'm not going to get anything crazy prolly a lightly used mustang or explorer shortblock. What would yall do in my situation? Keep the stock shortblock and do the heads cam or get a new one.

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Did you change the PCV or anything to try to combat the oil consumption? Is it smoking?

#4 is lower but within the 10% range of the rest.

bzubke1

Established Member
No I haven't changed the pcv, I bought one but when I tried to install it I counldn't reach behind the intake manifold to save my life. and yes it smokes on wot and between shifts.

Last edited:

bssmith1220

Established Member
I did mine a week or so ago....I'll post the results for a comparison when I get home.

bssmith1220

Established Member
#1-190
#2-190
#3-195
#4-188
#5-210
#6-210
#7-210
#8-195

I just noticed yours is a 302....ohh well.

Last edited:

MouTine

Established Member
Here's mine. 125k on clock.

Left - right:
170psi - 165psi
170psi - 180psi
170psi - 185psi
180psi - 190psi

Are these Ok? Normal?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
No I haven't changed the pcv, I bought one but when I tried to install it I counldn't reach behind the intake manifold to save my life. and yes it smokes on wot and between shifts.

lol
I remember those days, that thing is hell to get to.

Smoke at WOT between shifts is pretty much normal, even for 5.0s but what color is the smoke?

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
i checked my compression today not sure whats going on. i bought a compression guage from autozone, pretty cheap like $30. I know your not supposed to start the car on the test but thats the only way i could get a reading at all. All of my cylinders were below 140 psi, and # 3 the highest at 140 was drained in oil, my socket was covered in oil. What now?

bssmith1220

Established Member
i checked my compression today not sure whats going on. i bought a compression guage from autozone, pretty cheap like $30. I know your not supposed to start the car on the test but thats the only way i could get a reading at all. All of my cylinders were below 140 psi, and # 3 the highest at 140 was drained in oil, my socket was covered in oil. What now?

it shouldn't be able to start...all of the plugs should be out, and injectors unplugged.:shrug:

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member

Was the hole in the head where the spark pug goes down filled with oil? O rthe tip of the plug (bottom inside cylinder)?

If you went to remove the plug and the socket has oil all over it, you have bad seals on the valve cover... They are little circle rubber seals that go inbetween the vavle cover and head, around the sprak plug holes.

bzubke1

Established Member

Were any of your spark plugs messed up when you took them out? When I took mine out my #4 plug had ash deposits on it. If is messed up and you have a haynes manual you can check it with the inside of the back cover because it has a diagram with pictures that helps you diagnose what is causing your spark plug to get messed up. Mine said my valve stem seals are bad which is exactley what I thought the problem was. Now I have to decide if I want to freshen up the stock heads or get some aluminums.

Users who are viewing this thread