Compression test

Stanger00

Established Member
I ran a compression check on my motor today. I got it up to operating temp and pulled the plugs as fast as I could and tested each cylinder.

1. 148 5. 140
2. 150 6. 105 <----Did this one a couple times and 105 was the best it would do.
3. 150 7. 145
4. 150 8. 140

I have a bore scope but it wouldn't fit through the spark plug hole but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Not sure if I have a bent valve or if the rings are shot...I have around 2k miles on this Aluminator with 44cc 2 valve TFS heads.

What are your guys thoughts? Should I put the plugs back in and take it to a shop to have a leak down done on that cylinder?

Stanger00

Established Member
After talking with a builder and tuner he explained that the o-ring may have not of seated. I didn't have any lube to help the o-ring seal and it could have binded. I was using a cheap O'Reilly rental.

Car still has issues but I have a good lead to what happened. Found some vapors on a hose behind my intake manifold near a high failure rate location in higher boosted 2 valves with stock intake manifolds.

Ourobos

Established Member
I had similar on my 03.. Thought a stuck exhaust valve.. Then I noticed my plug gap had 'closed itself' somewhat.. Further inspection was a broke ringland on #7 due to a lean condition..

I'd do the leak down test for sure. How did the plugs look, any oil on them?

Stanger00

Established Member
Plugs are perfect. Look good on heat no signs of detonation. I was more concerned on the passenger side since I heard a loud pop coming from that bank a while back.

On my next day off I'll be pulling the intake manifold to see if there is a deviation of some sort that would leak boost. That cylinder being that low doesn't make sense to me. I'll stick with it being good as I chase down another problem.

Users who are viewing this thread