compucar nitrous

1qwkpny

Established Member
I just picked up a Compucar "nitrous in a bag" kit for $175 at a swap meet. Has anyone over here tried it? I guess I couldnt go wrong for that price and if I want to I can upgrade to braided lines (a must). But just wondering if anyone over here plays with the silly stuff?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I did :) You should be fine. I ran approx I think 35hp shot and then about 70ish.....I had other problems though (clogged cats), but when I ran it on the track that day, n/a it ran 16.0s (super duper hot) and on the bottle 14.7 who knows what it woulda done without the clogged cats and heat! Let us know how it goes!

1qwkpny

Established Member
Nitrous in a bag is something that Compucar coined b/c it has a dry nitrous kit that is "hidden" in a gym bag. It is probably the simplest nitrous kit on the market. the only down side is it doesnt use the braided lines. instead it uses some high pressure plastic line that looks like a vacuum line(which adds to the stealth). The group of local imports has reserved the track on this sat. the 31st and they will be out there attempting to strut their stuff so I figured since I know I can already beat 95% of them why not make a dent in the remaining 5% with out them knowing what just hit them. Normally my car runs in the 15.3's-15.60's depending on starting line traction. Of course now that I have a slight grinding noise when speed shifting(not power shifting) from 2nd to 3rd which forces me to shift even easier I have no idea what it'll run. I just changed my tranny fluid tonight and the slight grind is still there so I might try bleeding the clutch to see if it helps any. But I will definately let you all know what she runs.

CKYlndSpd21

Established Member
Originally posted by 1qwkpny
Nitrous in a bag is something that Compucar coined b/c it has a dry nitrous kit that is "hidden" in a gym bag.

Its hidden in a gym bag o man that awesome. Is it like a 50 shot or what.

1qwkpny

Established Member
Lesson #1 never go to the track when it has an "import day" as this equals no track prep. and morons dragging water nearly up to the 60ft mark. this totally blew my mind b/c I couldnt believe the track officials didn't do anything about it till someone nearly kissed the wall.

On the bright side having the 50hp jet was worth nearly a full second and a burned up clutch.
Out of my two first N/A runs the best I could muster was a 15.915 @94.884mph
60ft- 2.606
1/8 [email protected]
ET= [email protected]
needless to say first gear was a total smoke show followed by a slight bit of wheel hop into second gear and granny shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th.
My nitrous run went like this:
60ft= 2.438
1/8= 9.843@ 78.702mph
ET= 14.935 @ 89.177
1st gear was better but I bogged then the wheels started hopping, 2nd gear great, 3rd gear I sprayed, 4th gear spraying and buhhhhhh wahhhh right about 150ft from the finish lights/line. I was like oh great here it comes, so I let go of the button (right away when the rpm started to climband I was going nowhere) and surprisingly it stayed running and sounded good but it was like someone stuffed a rag in my throttle body and then pulled it out so I'm thinking I might have been having a fuel problem but then I smelled it oh yes the smell of freshly cooked clutch. I was just glad I could still drive her home. It seems to be fine now but I think I'll drop down from the middle jet to the 2nd smallest jet and try it out. Maybe I can totally cook the clutch and use it as an excuse to get a new flywheel too......... think the wife'll buy it?

ANyways how do you put pictures on this forum anyway, I can download a dig.pic of my timeslips from my hard drive (no scanner) but how do I put em on here? So I can honestly say it was worth it and is one hell of a good time hittin the silly stuff ohhhhh an by the way I actually found that my old school G-Tec is only about 9hundredths off compared to my actual 1/4 time and about 1.75mph off. So I feel that with the 50hp shot, good track, strong clutch the tour could easily run LOW 14's dare I say high 13's w/drag radials? It sure was fun watching the local import crowd run high 15's and low 16's w/nitto drag radials and some w/slicks(what a waste of good rubber).

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Not bad, but why did you only spray in 3rd? I sprayed once it hooked up in first ;-)

1qwkpny

Established Member
I sprayed in 3rd and 4th till I had my little problem and then just coasted through the lights. I only sprayed in those two gears simply because of the traction issue at the track. I plan on going out again and spraying as soon as I hook up so I really know what she'll run.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
once, but I had many problems. biggest one was my cats were clogged at the time and I didn't now it. My clutch was also slipping on the bottle as well. not to mention the 90+ heat. Off the bottle that day I ran a 16.0 and on 14.7, not bad with a small shot IMO. Now once the 3.0L is tuned and ready it will get the bottle, but since I'm 1/2 around the world from it thats about a year away.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
actually had ford do the warranty work on it and they replaced all of the cats (even though Ford said the cats were good until I brought the cat material in to them), and then when I picked the car up it was 2 qts low on oil (I'm assuming from taking the front manifold off you need to take the oil filter off?) And my car doesn't (well didn't use or leak oil) and I never checked hence the locked up motor now. Actually it has no motor, Soooooo, now with the 3.0L build I bought MSDS headers.......so if you want another set of manifolds let me know they only have less than 500 miles on them, I'll let them go for cheap, but it wouldn't be til this winter when I get home.

Users who are viewing this thread