Computer Guys. How Smart are You?

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I just got done with my Radiology exam which consisted of a few computer questions. Here they are.

1. Name what the system is where many transistors and other electronic elements are fused onto a chip.

2. An Input/Output (I/O) device consisting of a keyboard and cathode-ray tube display. Name this device.

3. What are the computer programs that tell the computer what to do and how to store data?

4. What is the primary control center unit built around a microprocessor?

5. What is the device that identifies the route of entry and directs data from an input device to destinations; transfers computed results to the output device selected?

6. What is a type of memory module consisting of groups of silicon chips etched with extremely small storage circuits?

7. What is the secondary memory device that stores digital data on a mirrored surface by modulating the reflective properties of that surface?

These were all fill-in the blanks, so I couldn't guess.

Last edited:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
topic should say:

Radiology Guys. How Smart are You?

Why's that? I know radiologist like things to sound more complicated than they are, but this is strictly computer science. i.e. Here's another question: What is the computer program that tells the computer what to do and how to store data? Sounds hard the way it's worded but the example is: software. Sounds like it's some integral component of all the packaged data.

Last edited:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I brought home the test questions after taking the test. I asked my cousin (a computer nerd) the questions to make sure I got what I could answer correct. He could only varify a few of them. So, if you can answer these questions correctly, you are both a computer genius and a nerd at the same time, but the genius part always overpowers the nerd part in my book.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
1. Name what the system is where many transistors and other electronic elements are fused onto a chip.

an integrated circuit?

2. An Input/Output (I/O) device consisting of a keyboard and cathode-ray tube display. Name this device.

A computer?

3. What are the computer programs that tell the computer what to do and how to store data?

Drivers?

Bus?

5. What is the device that identifies the route of entry and directs data from an input device to destinations; transfers computed results to the output device selected?

Datapath (ALU)?

6. What is a type of memory module consisting of groups of silicon chips etched with extremely small storage circuits?

Cache, primary memory, CMOS?

7. What is the secondary memory device that stores digital data on a mirrored surface by modulating the reflective properties of that surface?

CCD?

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member

an integrated circuit?CCD?

Correct

A computer?CCD?

I think that's correct. Not sure.

Drivers?CCD?

I answered "software". Might be wrong.

Bus? CCD?

No. It's long the prof said, but the second letter is an "E" while giving me useless hints. 17 letters total.

Datapath (ALU)?CCD?

No, starts with a "C" though.

Cache, primary memory, CMOS? CCD?

Primary memory was correct.

CCD?

No. I'm not sure what the answer to this one is. Couldn't find it anywhere after the test.

Last edited:

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
He gave us a crossword puzzle to help us to find answers to the test. Here are the computer ones:

Primary control center unit built around a microprocessor:
_E__R___R_M___I__

Device that identifies the route of entry and directs data from an input device to destinations; transfers computed results to the output device selected:
C__D_______.

Secondary memory device that stores digital data on a mirrored surface by modulating the reflective properties of that surface:

________I__

I let you know when they give me the answers next week upon receiving the test. Damn it sucked!

stangin99

Established Member

Chip/IC

Terminal

Operating System

Central Processing Unit (CPU)

Databus

Memory/RAM

CD-RW

Last edited:

stangin99

Established Member
You'd think, but it's not what they were looking for. I answered "OS" and got it wrong. I think the answer is "software". Seems more complicated than that.

This is one of those kind of questions where all dogs are pets but not all pets are dogs.

An OS always tells a computer what to do and how/where to store data, and is software. Not all software does what an OS does though.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member

Chip/IC

Terminal

Operating System

Databus

Memory/RAM

CD-RW

i watched MIBII this weekend and I understand your sig now lol:rockon:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Dead right on every one. And if the prof doesn't think the OS tells the computer what to do and where and how to store data, the prof is _wrong_.

Likewise, if the prof thinks the answer to #7 is a hard drive, he is wrong. The surface is mirrored, but it is only a side effect of how the disk is manufactured, it is _not_ the changes in its surface reflectance that store the data, it is magnetic fields. Ony a magneto-optic disk (CD, DVD) store data by changing the surface reflectance.

OP, did they each you the inverse square law? Are you studying to be a radiologist or an RT(R)? Good luck, either way.

Jim Snover

Chip/IC

Terminal

Operating System

Databus

Memory/RAM

CD-RW

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Why's that? I know radiologist like things to sound more complicated than they are, but this is strictly computer science. i.e. Here's another question: What is the computer program that tells the computer what to do and how to store data? Sounds hard the way it's worded but the example is: software. Sounds like it's some integral component of all the packaged data.

Those are computer engineering questions. Computer Science is mostly Programming.

lukabrozi

SVT *****
Established Member
this indicates if you are smart?

answering questions about specific fields makes you smart or not?

let's get real here... answer these questions genius.

1. what are the chemical and mechanical differentiations between the stock 04 cobra and the 03 with an aftermarket TB in a performance sense?
2. What are the exact measurements of each in a theoretical sense?
3. Why does a driver lose a drag race with a superior car? (in a technical/philosophical sense)
4. Which specific aerodynamic components of the 04 Cobra make it a lesser and greater on track, (drag and road race) performer than the say........Z51?

geez...... IQ tests are 19th and to a lesser degree.... 20th century.

lol

Users who are viewing this thread