Computer help, pretty please.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Have a question for a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. Fairly new (within maybe 6 months), running Windows XP. Problem started just a couple of days ago.

So, my internet connection is working fine (obviously) on my desktop. running Comcast cable internet with a Netgear (I believe) wireless router. My HP laptop with an Intel wireless chip thing is working fine (what I'm typing on now). Connects fine at a full 54Mbs, "excellent" connection.

The Dell connects in the same fashion - 54Mbs with an "excellent" connection strength. But, the Dell will not access the internet. When you pull up IE, it says cannot display page. But again, both my desktop and the HP laptop are working fine, and the Dell connects to my router fine. A few days ago the Dell was working perfectly, now it's not, all of the sudden.

Oh, and Dell's support is a f*cking joke. :kaboom:

Thanks ahead of time for the help. :thumbsup:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
astrocreep96 said:
Have a question for a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. Fairly new (within maybe 6 months), running Windows XP. Problem started just a couple of days ago.

So, my internet connection is working fine (obviously) on my desktop. running Comcast cable internet with a Netgear (I believe) wireless router. My HP laptop with an Intel wireless chip thing is working fine (what I'm typing on now). Connects fine at a full 54Mbs, "excellent" connection.

The Dell connects in the same fashion - 54Mbs with an "excellent" connection strength. But, the Dell will not access the internet. When you pull up IE, it says cannot display page. But again, both my desktop and the HP laptop are working fine, and the Dell connects to my router fine. A few days ago the Dell was working perfectly, now it's not, all of the sudden.

Oh, and Dell's support is a f*cking joke. :kaboom:

Thanks ahead of time for the help. :thumbsup:

On occasion you could get a Dell in with a manual IP configuration. This will allow you to connect to your wireless but not your router/gateway.

First, go into the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" properties of your wireless device and make sure everything is set to automatic. If it is, assign an address manually and see if this solves the problem. Example:

1) Wireless router/netgear set to 192.168.0.1
2) Set your IP settings on the wireless card to the following:

IP Address = 192.168.0.230
Subnet Mask = 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.0.1
DNS Server = 192.168.0.1

Now, once you are finished, goto RUN on your start menu, type in "CMD". This takes you to a COMMAND window. At the prompt, type in (no quotes) "TRACERT www.google.com".

If google comes back negative, meaning a name lookup is not possible, you are not getting to your router from the wireless card. This can happen if you have a bad card or security key. Delete the configuration and try again. If your SSID broadcast on your WIFI is not enabled, re-enable it, add the wireless settings, and try again. If that works, turn SSID broadcast back off and check again.

If you turn the manual settings back to automatic and it fails, you probably have 2 routers and they're broadcasting DHCP (dynamic addressing). Turn off any DHCP addressing on the wireless router and let the other router do the assigning. Make sure you DON'T run the one router to the INTERNET side of the wireless router when 2 are used. Do a daisychain instead (i.e. port 1 to port 1 of each router). If all you have is a COMCAST cable modem, then your router should be sufficient and you can safely ignore this paragraph.

Report your findings here. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread