Computer Know-it-alls...help plz

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
Hey, if anyone can help me out, my antivirus/firewall software just detected someone accessing my computer. They were able to disable my firewall ( I literally watched them do it) so I shut my comp off, but I was able to nab their IP address. Questions:

(1) what should I do to completely prevent this from happening when I'm online and (2) Can I report this incident to someone?

thanks

Bob :shrug:

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
OK...I did a reverse DSN lookup and found their provider....I'll send them an email...thanks.

inteller

Established Member
oh yes, you have to look out for those throngs of evil computer hackers in arkansas.

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
What Firewall program? Some of the software ones can give false indications. Blackice always gave me some false readings from time to time.
I currently run a Watchgaurd firebox III for the network and blackice on the servers.

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
BlackIce is part of your problem. The other issue is you may not have security policies properly configured on your workstations/servers.

In the past 4 years, I have had 0 (ZERO) DSA's/FIA's on my setups. PM me and I'll help you get secure.

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
PlatinumCobra, you talkin to me or SnakeDriver97? Because he didn't state he had blackice. I was just using that as an example on my end.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by stang99svt
PlatinumCobra, you talkin to me or SnakeDriver97? Because he didn't state he had blackice. I was just using that as an example on my end.

Whoops! Sorry about that.

I was trying to mention that BlackIce helps track activity on the inside more than the outside, if you know what I mean. :beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by slick4_6
ZoneAlarm should be alright on a home computer though, right?

No, it isn't. Here's why. Many software products rely on Microsoft's security model to run. This is where the problem begins. If there's a hole in the operating system, the firewall software will follow suit.

Get yourself a decent external router with a firewall built in. Configure your firewall to only allow certain ports you use (and ONLY the ports you use). :thumbsup:

SnakeDriver97

Newly Minted Ensign
Established Member
know...I have Panda Anti Virus Platinum 7.0 with a firewall built in...I should look into getting a router though...

redz_02

Established Member
you have to remember that alot of spyware accesses your computer. Sometimes ISP's do it also to check ping rate. Busy light will even blink when your comp is turned off (external cable modem). I used the method platinum cobra said, only problem is i am having trouble turning off my wireless.

xilix

Too Stock
Established Member
BlackIce is the most paranoid firewall I've ever seen. I've used Sygate for the last 3 years and it hasn't failed me yet. It's the best I've used as far as software goes.

stang99svt

Enter something here
Established Member
blckice is very paranoid but I haven't had any issues with it besides the occasional pop up from Norton saying that the blackice event log is a virus. Otherwise I have never had an issue. The watchguard takes care of 99.0% of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread