Computer Nerds In Here

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
I have a Dell 5100 Inspiron with Windows XP installed. I must have downloaded something with some sort of virus or????? The second i turn my laptop on the fan turns on full blast and does no shut off. The fan being on full blast drains the battery in roughly 30mins flat and slows the whole computer down. Any idea what this is? Also when the fan turns on its completely cool, but 5 mins later the thing is hot as hell. I just ran spybot and it didnt help and i have Norton Corporate Anti Virus. Thanks

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Maybe it's just the computers' way of saying, "I'm hot so I'm going to turn my fan on to cool me down some."

svtcontour

Established Member
Try running Trend's free online AV scanner and see if anything is found
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Also you could download "hijackthis" and see if there is anything starting up that you wanna get rid of - gotta be careful with this app as what it shows you can be cryptic at times.

Also you could download what was Ewido security - now part of AVG. It scans for spyware and trojans. I find it works well.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ewido/

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
maybe there is something physically wrong with the computer, maybe there is a short or something wrong with a temp sensor in the computer causing the fan to be on all the time. doesnt sound like a spyware problem to me.

i've personally never heard of spyware causing someones fan to be on all the time.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
hydroshutter said:
Maybe it's just the computers' way of saying, "I'm hot so I'm going to turn my fan on to cool me down some."

Reading comprehension is not your friend. The thing sits all night, i turn it on, fan comes on full blast.

Also how do i reformat?

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
TurdFerguson said:
maybe there is something physically wrong with the computer, maybe there is a short or something wrong with a temp sensor in the computer causing the fan to be on all the time. doesnt sound like a spyware problem to me.

i've personally never heard of spyware causing someones fan to be on all the time.

Neither have I but the computer guy at work said there are a few spywares out there that keep the fan on 24/7 as part of there havoc.

Antagon

Established Member
Dont reformat, why not call up dell? They have the least shi**y customer service of everybody.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
EATONSRT said:
How do i do this and what gets deleted?

not sure on that pc but it might be control/F11 (unless you have a disc) at the same time on the bios screen. it will erase EVERYTHING you've installed on the hd and return it to the way it was when new.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
everything gets deleted.

you lose it all. Go to best buy geek squad they diagnose that stuff for free.

i'd say reformatting is a last resort.

and also make sure all your reference files in your spyware programs are up to date.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
Antagon said:
Dont reformat, why not call up dell? They have the least shi**y customer service of everybody.

haha funny thing is, i bought the 3 yr warranty when i bought this, it ran out November 9th. They must build these things to break when the warranties up.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
System tools and then System Restore. You can pick a day to go back to, try a week or two or whenever you last remember you computer not acting like this. Restore back to that point.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Antagon said:

the last time i called those dummies i asked to speak to somone who spoke english, what a joke.

TurdFerguson

Scumbag
Established Member
system restore isnt the best way to solve your problem. it would only be a temporary fix, and your computer will create a restore point from today and will have made a copy of the virus or spyware.

aaandht

Established Member
TurdFerguson said:
system restore isnt the best way to solve your problem. it would only be a temporary fix, and your computer will create a restore point from today and will have made a copy of the virus or spyware.

If the restore point is 5 days ago, and the virus was put on yesterday it will fix it.

Also don't do the geek squad, they are terrible. Me and my friends have called them up to get support(running your own consulting business you need to know your competition)....they couldnt even help us find out what copy of windows we are using.

EATONSRT

Lights out for Merriman!
Established Member
Just ran 2 spybot scans and there were over 80 found in the two scans. Whats another good spyware scan?

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
GETTEUP said:
the last time i called those dummies i asked to speak to somone who spoke english, what a joke.

The speaking english part isnt the problem. Its the understanding part that kills me. You have to ezplain stuff 5-10 times and then they just pass off the call and have someone else make you tell them another 5-10 times.

Users who are viewing this thread