Computer networking ?

theraapster

Established Member
I have a server with server2k3 installed on it with 2 nic's. One nic is connected to my router, which my laptop is also connected and is connected to the internet. The other nic is connected to directly to another internet connection (i am in a college dorm and my roommate doesn't have a pc, so I use both network connections). I would like to set up my server so that the one connected directly to the internet is the one that it actually uses for the internet, as right now it goes through the router and then to the internet. I am pretty computer literate and can usually figure things like this out, but this has me stumped. Can anyone help?

djc

Professional Nerd
Established Member
Um, why?

what benefit are you expecting to see here?

The easiest solution is to go into your router and disable internet connectivity for the IP address to the server. You will still connect to your server via laptop and browse the web via laptop.

alternatively, you could use cost routing to force internet connectivity through the secondary nic, but that is more work than the above.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
theraapster said:
I have a server with server2k3 installed on it with 2 nic's. One nic is connected to my router, which my laptop is also connected and is connected to the internet. The other nic is connected to directly to another internet connection (i am in a college dorm and my roommate doesn't have a pc, so I use both network connections). I would like to set up my server so that the one connected directly to the internet is the one that it actually uses for the internet, as right now it goes through the router and then to the internet. I am pretty computer literate and can usually figure things like this out, but this has me stumped. Can anyone help?

This one is extremely straightforward. Remove the default gateway entry on the NIC that isn't being used to access the internet.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
My main question is why you want to use two NIC's? Do you think that you are going to get more bandwidth or throughput?

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I can see the use for two NIC's. We use two NIC's at work for the reason we have one "public" network that all computers in the network can see then we have an additional network setup that only select computers can see for security purposes. I thought it was crazy first when they installed it 17 months ago but it has worked really well. I agree with 05 Roush just take out the gateway and you should be good to go. DJC's answer is good also, but a lot of people do not know how to go insode the router and make changes to it.

theraapster

Established Member
Thanks a lot guys, I should have thought about disabling it through the router. And I guess removing the default gateway isn't very difficult, but I don't think I would have figured that one out. Basically I want 2 nic's for the same reason wvmystichrome said, one private and one public network.

theraapster

Established Member
Hmm, for some reason my second NIC is not connecting to the internet now, whether I disable internet access within the router or by changing the default gateway of the NIC I don't want to have internet access with. Do I actually have to remove the default gateway, and if so how do I do that? I just changed the gateway in my TCP settings, but IE still tries to use that NIC and just says the page can't be displayed.

frankin

Established Member
You can take out the gateway in the network settings for that nic. I only use two nics in my Linux boxes, because one is external (the cloud) and the other is internal with the firewall running, and I do not run one of those off the shelf pretty blue Linksys routers. I use an old machine and Linux as my router/firewall. That is just the way I have always done it. The Linksys should be plug and play. By default the gateway on those is 192.168.1.1, unless you change it. On the internal, multiple nics can be used if you want to seperate the network for security reasons. You only need one gateway for what you are using it for. If you are using one of those pretty blue Linksys router/firewalls you will not need two nics. The Linksys will have ethernet on it, so you should be able to just plug the other machines on the network right into it. The Linksys will have the gatway ip and dhcp to give your machines a dynamic ip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread