Concealed Weapon In Vehicle LEO's Only Please

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
Just wondering, what is the action an LEO will normally take when he/she runs across a loaded pistol in a vehicle during a traffic stop, checkpoint, etc.?

The reason I ask is because the other night I rolled through a checkpoint, and while I was talking with the officer that was checking my license, the other 3 or 4 at the checkpoint were looking in the passenger window and freaked when they saw my pistol laying, holstered & secured, in the passenger floor. The officer that was closest to that side immediately leaned into the car and snatched it up, unholstered it, dropped the clip out, unloaded each individual bullet out, and then broke down my pistol, (as in removing the upper slide from the rest of it.) I do have a concealed permit, and once that was ok'ed, I was let through.

I only ask because I thought it was really odd, not to mention that I got just a little pissed at somebody just leaning all over the side of my car in such a hurry to snatch up a pistol that was well out of my reach.

The reason I keep it there while I drive the car is because of the shifts I work and the really bad area that I have to drive through to get to work.

Just wondering.... Thanks for any input!!!

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
In Texas, the holder must present his CHL along with his driver license at the time of being stopped, if he is carrying the weapon. Even if you are not carrying a weapon it is always good idea to present it. The officer will know if you have a CHL or not.
The weapon must be concealed. If the officer asks where it is, tell him where it is, please don't reach for it like some knot heads do.
If the rules are not followed you run the risk of having the CHL suspended.
Also, no need to be pissed about it, I or any other officer would have done the same thing. They have no idea who you are or why you have a weapon within your reach.

Last edited:

f8lbite04svt

Established Member
I understand that he was concerned about his safety. I just remember seeing his belt buckle and thinking "oh god, he just scratched the hell out of the door." Fortunately he didnt, I was just wondering about protocol because he broke the pistol down. Thanks for the input.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
No known protocol for breaking it down.I think it was a safety issue for the most part[snatching it up].Best advice is to keep your hands on the wheel and immediately inform the officer you have a gun[on the floor/wherever],After that,advise you have a permit etc

Users who are viewing this thread