Confused with 1/4 mile trap and gears and other performance questions.

gearhead08

Established Member
So here is the deal. I took my car to the drag strip a couple times about a year ago 3.31s 305/45/18 tire. 620rwhp. I would consistently max out 3rd gear rpm hit the rev limiter a bit before the end of the drag strip would trap 125.6 mph consistently. It was cooler weather. Best time with this setup was 11.81 at 124mph with a 1.98 60ft. Which was hot lapped literally, got off the track and back on.

I installed 3.73s and thought for sure I would pick up some more mph in my trap since I was hitting the rev limiter.

Nope it went down highest trap was in the 124 range with crappy 60 ft 2.0-2.1 spinning. Best runs was probably 12.1 if i remember correctly.

Switched to M&H 275 45 18 drag radials. Love the tire hooks quite nicely. Best run was 11.57 with a 1.88 60ft trapped 123 mph. This was in warmer weather.

Last night went back to the drag strip cool night low 60's, now this is where I am confused. I just spent a stupid amount of money on modifications. 2.4 pulley, port matched elbow to vmp tvs, 67 mm throttle body, ID1000's, PNP dual boostapumps, and a 1 piece driveshaft. Horsepower is unknown right now. My best trap of the night was a 124.4mph ran a 11.60 with a 1.92 60ft I bogged off the line. Next pass 25 min cool down waiting in line to run. Trapped 123.6 ran 11.51 with a 1.84 60ft.

Now with all that said my gears have whined from the beginning of being installed. That is a whole other story. Would that affect performance this bad if they were not installed correctly? This new tune is stupid rich right now. I just figured it would of picked up a decent mph with it all said and done even though it was rich.

Any thoughts/ opinions are welcomed.

Thank You.

Last edited:

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Not sure why the car mph is so low, however I would have went with more gear. If you are going to make that extra shift make it count. A little noise is common on gear swaps. If it is possible I would log the Iat2s going down the track.

Last edited by a moderator:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
What inter-cooler heat exchanger are you using? Fans? What are your IAT2 temps? I'd look at pulling timing due to high IAT2. I also agree that you should have 4.10 gears at your trap speed. Better 60' will lower MPH and improve ET.

gearhead08

Established Member
Not sure of exact DA i just know im in arizona, and its over 1k altitude. That being said with the mods done how the heck did the trap not increase at all. That should be atleast a 30rwhp difference.... and if not im uploading my old tune and selling everything because so far it seems to be a complete fail of 2k spent lol.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Not sure of exact DA i just know im in arizona, and its over 1k altitude. That being said with the mods done how the heck did the trap not increase at all. That should be atleast a 30rwhp difference.... and if not im uploading my old tune and selling everything because so far it seems to be a complete fail of 2k spent lol.

You went from 11.81 to 11.57. That's a huge improvement. Don't worry about speed. Focus on ET. What cooling mods have you done?

Last edited:

builttodrive

Established Member
Well if I didn't miss anything it makes a lot of sense that you didn't pick up mph. You went to a lower gear and a shorter tire. Your 60ft and ET will go up (be a faster time) but even if you can now shift to 4th that gear will not out pull your gearing you lost going from 3:31's to 3:73's and the inch shorter tire.

Last edited:

gearhead08

Established Member
Yes I did a better time but that was back when i just switched tires and gears only i did 11.57. I did all the other mods 2.4 pulley ported inlet and 67mm throttle body and best run was 11.51 at the same mph as last time 123 mph. Also cooling mods are afco dual fan heat exchanger and 170 degree reisch t stat

builttodrive

Established Member
Yes I did a better time but that was back when i just switched tires and gears only i did 11.57. I did all the other mods 2.4 pulley ported inlet and 67mm throttle body and best run was 11.51 at the same mph as last time 123 mph. Also cooling mods are afco dual fan heat exchanger and 170 degree reisch t stat

I'm curios where your power numbers are....my 3:73 gears wine like crazy also. It just sounds like the 3:73's like to wine and it only gets worse with suspension upgrades.

builttodrive

Established Member

I'm curios where your power numbers are....my 3:73 gears wine like crazy also. It just sounds like the 3:73's like to wine and it only gets worse with suspension upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread