Connecting the IPHONE to Termi Radio

MikesCobra

Established Member
Hey guys, so I am try to get with the times and ditch cd's.

Does anyone know if on the back the stock head unit and or on the amp in the trunk if there is a AUX port for a audio cable, or any RCA ports so I can buy a wire to run the iphone/ipod to play music?

Most devices out there today are big and bulky that plug into the cigarette liter so trying to find a cleaner and cheaper way to hook it up. I dont care about charging the phone I just want to play the music and keep the factory head unit.

What set ups did you guys use and what route?

I dont want to but a new headset.

scbird94

Established Member

MikesCobra

Established Member
Well I guess if there are aux plugs in the back then I can just buy a 15 dollar rca to 3.5 cable from walmart and connect it to the radio and then this should work...... Now if I can only figure out how to take the radio out lol

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
Get a aftermarket radio lol, I have tried to figure this out many of times and all that I have gathered is the mach system is pooooooooo

scbird94

Established Member
There are no aux inputs. You need An interface to connect into the factory satellite or cd changer plugins. Read through the thread I linked above

MikesCobra

Established Member
Get a aftermarket radio lol, I have tried to figure this out many of times and all that I have gathered is the mach system is pooooooooo

I dont want to hurt the value of the car with replacing the radio.. sigh..Ill look for an interface box I guess or maybe I could always buy a new head set and keep the old one in case of resale.

Quick Strike

Established Member
I don't want to hurt the value of the car with replacing the radio.. sigh..Ill look for an interface box I guess or maybe I could always buy a new head set and keep the old one in case of resale.

I used the PIE interface in mine. Be careful what you purchase as 03s and 04s use different connections and interfaces. The interface connects between the radio and harness. Then you need to run an RCA jack to it from wherever you want to locate the jack. I put mine by the shifter as pictured below:

Cobra%20100925%20Satellite.JPG

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Best buy sells a kit, I believe its made by Isimple. I bought it from them and they installed it for the stock deck. The cable is ran through the glove box so it looks like a factory piece. They would know what you need, works great.

dablaze313

Established Member
I have been looking to do something similar so I've been researching the possible options. Here are the four options I have found:

The only way to fully integrate (charge and have radio controls) seems to be to use a P.I.E. kit called FRD03-POD (for 03) or FRD03-POD/S (for 04). With this kit you connect your IPod (iPhone) with the bottom connector.

The next best option is the kit that Quick Strike mentioned, the FRD03-AUX (for 03) or FRD03-AUX/S (for 04). This is just a headphone jack in and only provides audio. From the few sellers I have talked to, all of the P.I.E. kits were discontinued some time ago and thus are becoming harder to come by.

The third option, which is the one I am leaning towards, is to use what's called an FM Modulator. This is what 0TO60N4 is talking about. The kit he mentions is called the ISimple IS77, which allows you to charge and play music. This kit is the relatively cheap and available everywhere, but the sound quality won't be quite as good as that of the P.I.E. kits as it uses an FM signal. However, the FM signal is directly into the radio as a wired connection to essentially eliminate interference.

The fourth and last option is to use an FM Transmitter like KINGCOBRA86 suggested. These are the least invasive and involved to set-up, but their sound quality is also the worst of the group as they suffer from radio interference.

04SilverSerpent

ZTP
Established Member
Is the FRD03-POD/S still available? I did a few searches on google and it showed it to be discontinued? I have an 04 radio with SAT button so I would prefer better sound if possible.

Edit: I found site that claims to have it, but I won't know more until I call them to be for certain since it's supposedly discontinued.
Edit: Called them and they said they don't have it and haven't had it for some time.

Last edited:

dablaze313

Established Member
Is the FRD03-POD/S still available? I did a few searches on google and it showed it to be discontinued? I have an 04 radio with SAT button so I would prefer better sound if possible.

Edit: I found site that claims to have it, but I won't know more until I call them to be for certain since it's supposedly discontinued.
Edit: Called them and they said they don't have it and haven't had it for some time.

Yea that is the ideal kit for people wanting to use the IPod but the only way to get one now is buying a used kit from someone. I have no experience with the FM Modulator kit but from what I've read it's sound quality is noticeably better than the Transmitters you plug into the cigarette lighter. Hopefully someone who has one will chime in.

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I found this one on Amazon:

PIE FRDN-AUX/S

The ad says "Only 4 left in stock"

Looks like it will work with a headunit that has the "Sat" button.

I have a similar one on my '03, to connect my XM radio, works great, but it is play only, no control.

-Brian

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Does that kit allow you to change songs with the radio as well?
Yes, just hit next track. You can also change the song on the ipod while it is playing. I have never had any issues with sound quality, through the speakers or aftermarket sub. It also charges my ipod. Once the keys are removed from the ignition, theirs no longer power so you don't have to worry about draining the battery. I believe the kit I have was around $200, dablaze313 is also talking about the same kit. Again the sound quality isn't even in the same ballpark as those crappy cigarette lighter transmitters.
Edit: I don't believe the kit I have is the IS77, I know it is an Isimple kit. Sorry I don't have any more information, I am currently overseas and unable to check the box. It connects to the bottom not the aux headphone jack on the ipod/iphone.

Last edited:

Comp281

Established Member
I wish the FRD03-POD/S was still available. They should do another run of those. Looks like the amazon link to the aux input unit is next best.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
It doesnt hurt the value of the car silly Rabbit. I am assuming if your worried about this your car must be mint and stock with ultra low miles then?

I dont want to hurt the value of the car with replacing the radio.. sigh..Ill look for an interface box I guess or maybe I could always buy a new head set and keep the old one in case of resale.

dablaze313

Established Member
I found this one on Amazon:

PIE FRDN-AUX/S

The ad says "Only 4 left in stock"

Looks like it will work with a headunit that has the "Sat" button.

I have a similar one on my '03, to connect my XM radio, works great, but it is play only, no control.

-Brian

While that kit looks similar in appearance, it will not work with our radios as it is designed for a 20 pin harness whereas ours are 24.

Yes, just hit next track. You can also change the song on the ipod while it is playing. I have never had any issues with sound quality, through the speakers or aftermarket sub. It also charges my ipod. Once the keys are removed from the ignition, theirs no longer power so you don't have to worry about draining the battery. I believe the kit I have was around $200, dablaze313 is also talking about the same kit. Again the sound quality isn't even in the same ballpark as those crappy cigarette lighter transmitters.
Edit: I don't believe the kit I have is the IS77, I know it is an Isimple kit. Sorry I don't have any more information, I am currently overseas and unable to check the box. It connects to the bottom not the aux headphone jack on the ipod/iphone.

Yea your kit is not the IS77. It sounds similar in function to the FRD03-POD/S kit so I'd be curious what the exact model number is and if there is still any way to get one.

Users who are viewing this thread