Considering a cummins....6.7L

Speedylifsavr

Established Member
I'm in the market for a diesel truck . I need a diesel to pull our 30' Fleetwood travel trailer . At 7700lbs my HD F-150 is really workin . Even with custom tune , 4X4 tranny pan , L pulley , big electric fan , rear end girdle , air lift bags and aux oil cooler I'm getting 6.5 mpg with a top speed of 65mph on the interstate .

I've looked at many Fords , but all in my price range are the 6.0 . I am apprehensive because of the issues with the oil pumps , coolant , EGR and head gasket fiasco .

I will not drive a chevy and I have heard nothing but good things about the cummins .

I found a very nice late '07 3500 quad cab long bed with the 6.7L and 6 speed auto tranny . Even comes equipped with factory exhaust brake . Is anyone familiar with these engines? any issues?

Thanks

some pics of the old...and possibly new:

BSICB-truckcamper001.jpg

rsz_107_dodge_diesel.jpg

Last edited:

VtekII

Established Member
join the cummins forum... you will learn A TON about them... my brother did after he bought his and ending up spending about 8k on a built tranny... only common problems i remember were turbos can sometimes go out early and the trannies can be weak... but if i were to get any diesel it would be without a doubt the 6.7 cummins. my brothers put down a little over 800 ft/lbs on a mustang dyno with just a smarty tuner, dpf and egr delete, 5 inch turbo back exhaust.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
What do you have against the GM diesels? The Allison Transmission is bullet proof and the duramax can tow almost anything you put behind it.. Just like the Cummins and PSD's.

I personally like the older 6 cylinder 5.9's the most out of any dodge diesel engine. Combine that with a 5 speed standard... And you'll have yourself a monster!

The 7.3 PSD's are also amazing trucks.

zackkbcobra

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
there are not any issues with these engines if you want to find more info go on cumminsforums and youll learn alot there and like above stated there isnt anything wrong with the newer dmaxes there bullit bullitproof and all the newer one got the injector prob fixed

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
what do you want to know? the 07 6.7 is the one that has the most problems.

things that you need to know.

change the fuel filter every 10k, not 15k. the injectors are very very sensative to contaminates and water.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT let it idle for long periods. builds up soot and builds up carbon on the tips of the injectors. dripping injectors is the number one cause of engine problems.

work the exhaust brake, that POS sliding ring in the VGT turbo gets packed with soot and sticks. if it sticks closed you walk.

try not to add an aux tank in the bed, they dont seal good and attract moisture.

make sure it has had the J35 recall done, this will get the ECM software up to date.

work the turck, thats what it is meant for.

Users who are viewing this thread