Considering filing a first party auto insurance claim...

neatofrito1618

Established Member
A few days ago I ran into a curb going 40-50 mph. I had dead center contact with my drivers side front tire which caused the tire to explode and crack/bend the wheel. I haven't had a chance to take it to a body shop, but so far at a bare minimium the damage I surveyed is as follows.

New drivers side front wheel/tire
New rear tire(it's still intact but there is a massive bubble from when it the curb ripped into the sidewall)
New strut tower(it can't be welded, it's bent and has a nice sized crack)

and last but not least...

the frame on the drivers side shifted back around 1/8th of an inch, which in conjunction with the strut tower is causing a shitload of negative camber.

I'm currently still DDing it with a spare on the front. I have no idea how invasive it will be to reposition the drivers side frame but I'm not holding my breath. My deductible is $1,000 but I'm of course concerned about my rates increasing. Obviously there are a lot of personalized individual factors that contribute to increased rates after an at-fault claim, but in general what are other people's experiences that have been in a similar situation and filed with insurance? FWIW I've been driving for 9 years and have zero tickets or at-fault accidents.

TK Doom

Established Member
Who is your insurance?

Liberty Mutual claims 'accident forgiveness', which i haven't used yet...so we'll see.

They can fix a lot of stuff with their unibody machine.

TK Doom

Established Member
Based off teh accident I had, that sounds like close to 8 or 10k of damage, i don't think that out of pocket is a good idea.

Odds are with a $1k deductible he isn't paying much anyway.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Based off teh accident I had, that sounds like close to 8 or 10k of damage, i don't think that out of pocket is a good idea.
**** me sideways. Was your frame bent or just pushed back?

Mine luckily doesn't look deformed, it's just sitting about 1/8th of an inch behind where it should be...

TK Doom

Established Member
I spun in water and hit a pole, pretty gently, not that hard. Hit i right on the A pillar, took out the mirror and messed up the door and cracked the front windshield.

It drives just like it did before as far as I'm concerned.

I had forgotten about the accident until i replaced door speakers and found out that it was white door they replaced it with.

I only know what happened because i read the report of what was billed for, and it was on the unibody machine. :shrug:

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
1. WTF caused you to hit the curb at nearly 50 mph.
2. Why are you just now, days later, getting formal with the accident. ( ins, cops......)
3. I smell fish

neatofrito1618

Established Member
1. WTF caused you to hit the curb at nearly 50 mph.
Hydroplaned.
NC85 said:
2. Why are you just now, days later, getting formal with the accident. ( ins, cops......)
Why exactly would I call LE for a single party accident? At the time I didn't think it was sufficient enough to consider filing an insurance claim.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
I spun in water and hit a pole, pretty gently, not that hard. Hit i right on the A pillar, took out the mirror and messed up the door and cracked the front windshield.

It drives just like it did before as far as I'm concerned.

I had forgotten about the accident until i replaced door speakers and found out that it was white door they replaced it with.

I only know what happened because i read the report of what was billed for, and it was on the unibody machine. :shrug:
What kind of insurance increase did you experience?

TK Doom

Established Member
I don't recall....i was single and loaded, didn't really think about it...i don't think it was much...it was about 5 years ago, which would have made me 40'ish.

TK Doom

Established Member
But just FYI, my insurance for my family just went up $400 a year, and we have no accidents and no tickets...

The insurance companies are full of crap lately IMO.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Hydroplaned.
Why exactly would I call LE for a single party accident? At the time I didn't think it was sufficient enough to consider filing an insurance claim.

You'd call to cover your @ss in the event of an insurance claim. You said you hydroplaned, should be an open and shut case under normal circumstances, which you are days out.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You'd call to cover your @ss in the event of an insurance claim. You said you hydroplaned, should be an open and shut case under normal circumstances, which you are days out.

Who was he supposed to call and who is he covering his ass from? I see no reason why the OP was obligated to call anyone if he didn't damage anything but his personal property.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
Jesus, there needs to be a sticky with instructions on what to do when your involved in an accident.

Dam curb curb that got smacked has more brains then some folks in here.

Rule #1 - Call the police and document any accident your involved in.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
It's his car, his insurance, his money, his choice. He can call whenever the **** he wants to.

neatofrito1618

Established Member
Werd.

NC85 calls the highway patrol to report himself as speeding when he looks down and realizes he's doing 10 over.
Oddly enough, I knew someone that totaled their car hydroplaning in the rain into a guard rail. Despite the fact that he was the sole party involved he ended up getting a ticket for 'excessive speed in road conditions' or something to that effect.

Granted, it was still obviously the right call due to the fact the car was totaled but it's still a bit awkward to call LE on yourself and walk away with a ticket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread