Considering purchasing an 03 SVTF...opinions please

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I am considering purchasing an 03 SVTF with ~180k miles but wanted to get your guys' opinion. The car has high mileage but the owner says that it was primarily used for commuting. It looks to be very clean and well maintained, but the mileage scares me a bit.

Here is what he says he has done to the car:

"The common leaking thermostat housing was replaced, motor mounts were replaced, and the plastic IMRC bracket has been replaced with a billet one. I also replaced all the suspension with new SVT parts including struts, springs, strut mounts, and sway bars."

"Modifications:
Borla catback
K&N intake
SCT tuner"

Do you guys think this car will last a good while as a daily driver or will the car die out sooner than I think? I'm concerned since clutch and water pump/timing belt have not been addressed yet....

Please let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,
Ian

shlbygt

Established Member
The hood pins are an immediate turn off for me.
The timing belt should be up for replacement for the second time at that mileage.
It is unusual in that it doesn't have a sunroof, as the majority do.
I'd ask for the original air box, battery cover and coil cover. The header heat shield is gone as well.
If it was cared for, the motor will run indefinitely.
A replacement LUK clutch kit (the folks who made the original clutch) goes for ~$425 with everything needed including the flywheel.
Crawl under the car and check that the header is not damaged on the bottom. They are often hit which puts the cat out of position and causes the rear O2 sensor to contact the half shaft.

I'd be looking for something like these.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/4443497349.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/cto/4501305108.html

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413242

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Judging by your location I assume you know the car I'm talking about...

I'll see if he's willing to do the timing belt/water pump but I doubt he'd do the clutch. I'll also ask if he has the original parts as well (though I have a feeling he probably doesn't). Thanks for the input!

Steve@Tasca

Plenty of SVTs running strong at well over 200k these days, it's all about maintenance, take care of the car and it'll take care of you.

As mentioned the timing belt is likely due 90k is about as far as you want to go between belt/idler/tensioner changes. I know at least one guy at 25k on his original clutch, I replaced mine at about 115k and it hadn't even started slipping yet.

-Steve

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ian, you know me from the open track forum.

I got one 2 years ago, and Steve's right. If you maintain them, they run a long time. But make sure that you plan on doing whatever the previous owner hasn't. They don't take to just hopping in and driving forever without some care.

But they are so much fun!

Good luck.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Judging by your location I assume you know the car I'm talking about...

I'll see if he's willing to do the timing belt/water pump but I doubt he'd do the clutch. I'll also ask if he has the original parts as well (though I have a feeling he probably doesn't). Thanks for the input!

tgarlock is a good seller btw

Users who are viewing this thread