Constant whirring noise from rear-end, grinding noise when turning

1SlowGT500

Established Member
Hello, new guy here. I purchased a 2011 GT500 Kona Blue with SVT PP back in Dec 2013. I've logged about 2k miles on her since, and I've started to notice the above noises becoming more prominent in the vehicle. She is for the most part stock, and 100% stock performance-wise.

The grinding noise only appears when I'm in 1st gear performing a slow turn, say in a parking lot.
Whirring noise seems to get louder as speed increases. I've owned a 2000 Stang GT, and it made a similar noise at highway speeds which turned out to be the rear axle bearings. I'm hoping its something that simple on my rear axle, but I don't know since the grinding noise is new to me.

I don't drive the car that much, and it'll probably never see the track. I have some light power mods planned (pulley, intake, tb, tune). Where I'm really planning to drop my money is (that assumes I keep the vehicle as I've been eyeing the new C7's, waiting for the next MY to sort out any first revision bugs), suspension work. Eyeing suspension packages from either Cortex Racing or Griggs Suspension if I keep this car.

In either case, I've scheduled a service appointment with one of my local dealers, Planet 59 Ford in Humble. Appt is not until 6/24 since the tech that works on GT500's is on vacation until then, or so they say.
Service advisor on the phone checked my VIN, and he has advised me that this work will be covered under the Ford's 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Everything else with the StangStang (as I affectionately call her) runs great. I'll keep ya'll updated once I find out more with the service on my baby. It'll be a few weeks. :p

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hello, new guy here. I purchased a 2011 GT500 Kona Blue with SVT PP back in Dec 2013. I've logged about 2k miles on her since, and I've started to notice the above noises becoming more prominent in the vehicle. She is for the most part stock, and 100% stock performance-wise.

The grinding noise only appears when I'm in 1st gear performing a slow turn, say in a parking lot.
Whirring noise seems to get louder as speed increases. I've owned a 2000 Stang GT, and it made a similar noise at highway speeds which turned out to be the rear axle bearings. I'm hoping its something that simple on my rear axle, but I don't know since the grinding noise is new to me.

I don't drive the car that much, and it'll probably never see the track. I have some light power mods planned (pulley, intake, tb, tune). Where I'm really planning to drop my money is (that assumes I keep the vehicle as I've been eyeing the new C7's, waiting for the next MY to sort out any first revision bugs), suspension work. Eyeing suspension packages from either Cortex Racing or Griggs Suspension if I keep this car.

In either case, I've scheduled a service appointment with one of my local dealers, Planet 59 Ford in Humble. Appt is not until 6/24 since the tech that works on GT500's is on vacation until then, or so they say.
Service advisor on the phone checked my VIN, and he has advised me that this work will be covered under the Ford's 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Everything else with the StangStang (as I affectionately call her) runs great. I'll keep ya'll updated once I find out more with the service on my baby. It'll be a few weeks. :p

I would guess that some friction modifier additive needs to be added, or maybe even a fresh diff. oil change and new friction modifier.

R

1SlowGT500

Established Member
Yep, had the same sound. Changed fluid added friction modifier, problem solved!

Did that already. Guess I should've mentioned it. I'm an Amsoil preferred member. Changed the rear diff with Amsoil heavy duty syn 75w-140 and slip lock additive.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/severe-gear-75w-140/?code=SVOQT-EA
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/gear-lube/slip-lock-gear-oil-additive/?code=ADATB-EA

Changed it myself, and it, honestly, sucked doing it by myself. No leaks though.

I changed the fluid because of the noise, but it didn't fix it. To the dealer she goes...

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I had both of these issues as we'll. A modified diff cover that held more fluid solved the low speed groan when turning, but the whirring sound was the bearings going south. Required new carrier bearings.

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
... In either case, I've scheduled a service appointment with one of my local dealers, Planet 59 Ford in Humble. Appt is not until 6/24 since the tech that works on GT500's is on vacation until then, or so they say.

Let me know how your dealer visit goes, 1SlowGT500. I'm happy to lend a hand if you need anything once they've taken a look.

Ashley

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I had a similar issue with my 98 cobra after switching to 31 spline axles and an eaton differential. Turns out my shop used synthetic gear oil and eaton calls for regular oil. Changed the oil and added the friction modifier and it completely solved it. I would put the stock gear oil back in with friction modifier before going to the stealership. They may try to blame you. Maybe add a little extra friction modifier than is called for. While they're in there why don't you have them throw in some 373's or 410's lol. Best of luck in getting it resolved.

1SlowGT500

Established Member
Let me know how your dealer visit goes, 1SlowGT500. I'm happy to lend a hand if you need anything once they've taken a look.

Ashley

Planet 59 Ford called me back. After taking for a test drive (technician's name was Sammy, service advisor was Nick), they said that the noise I was hearing was normal due to the carbon fiber packs in the rear diff. Never heard of that, but I DO understand that our rear-ends are not quiet. I'm curious to see what will happen when I get rid of the stock Goodyears for Michelin's Pilot Super Sports in terms of noise (not just performance).

Users who are viewing this thread