Contesting out of town ticket ?

zemog255

Established Member
So while I was in Houston a few weeks ago for TX2K (no we weren't racing). My friend and I were stopped and ticketed for no front licence plates and "defective equipment" tread depth. We both had mickey thompson ET streets both new tires his had maybe 100 miles on them and zero track time mine had about 500 miles on them and 15-20 track passes. No reason the tires wouldn't pass any inspection. I tried to explain that they were legal. All I was able to say was " but they're ET streets" and he just stopped me and said "tell it to the judge". He didn't use anything to check them, he didn't even squat down and look at them.

So here's my problem I'm about 4.5 hrs from Houston. I called the office and the clerk there told me there was nothing I could do except setup a trial and go down there. The judge doesn't take phone calls and can't be contacted unless I meet him in person.

My question is, Is there really nothing else I can do except pay the fines? I stumbled across the compliance rule but how would I do that without going down there if I can't contact the judge?

The front plate, while annoying is the law that's fine. The tires are what I want to contest. Its just really frustrating that I'm expected drive a 9hr round trip, gas money, time off work etc.. and however long the case takes just because the cop felt like being a jerk. By the time its all said and done its cheaper to just pay the fines.

Oh and so much for no fine for the front plate not having a fine. My $120 ticket for it sure looks real.

testorossa1989

Established Member
Contact the DA and see what they will do for you. In your case the fine is so minor that the trouble of travelling out there, getting a lawyer if it comes to that is just not needed. Some DA will hear you but most wont bother without legal representation. Moral of the story officers purposely stop people out of town because the likely hood that you will come back is slim. Even out of state speeding tickets wont follow over with points but heavy fines. You got hosed down my friend it sucks but thats the nature of it.

Last edited:

zemog255

Established Member
Not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for the help!!
I'll try to contact a DA down there. Tickets total $250 not going to kill me but don't exactly feel like throwing it away either.

zemog255

Established Member
250 bucks? I'd rather pay that then waste all that time.

Any points on either of those?

No, no points and thanks for making me look to see about the points, I finally found what I was looking for. I can take a picture of the plate and tires mail them in and its a $10 administration fee each. Now lets hope the judge doesn't decide to get picky.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Contact the DA and see what they will do for you. In your case the fine is so minor that the trouble of travelling out there, getting a lawyer if it comes to that is just not needed. Some DA will hear you but most wont bother without legal representation. Moral of the story officers purposely stop people out of town because the likely hood that you will come back is slim. Even out of state speeding tickets wont follow over with points but heavy fines. You got hosed down my friend it sucks but thats the nature of it.
yeah here is quality advice right here. :bored: :bored::bash:

Not what I was hoping to hear but thanks for the help!!
I'll try to contact a DA down there. Tickets total $250 not going to kill me but don't exactly feel like throwing it away either.
DA is not going to talk to you (or at least it is highly unlikely) but I see you already found your solution so go with that. if you are worried about getting another front plate ticket get the no drill bracket and use that. there is also one that has a motor on it to put the plate in view or tucked away.

Users who are viewing this thread