Conversations I hate when in a group setting with civilians...

Im1livewire

Established Member
I have to start this thread...

My eyes will always roll back in my head and that part of my mind says, "Oh Gawd, here we go again!" when I'm introduced and people take it upon themselves to take me step by step, volume by volume, through their last law enforcement encounter, i.e. traffic stop, with mind numbing (lack of) detail! I swear, my world comes to a stop, and I try not to chuckle when they--finally-- end with..."Well, what do you think?" or "Is that how you would have handled it (the situation in question)?" Of course, if it's a traffic stop, I can pretty much discern what got the afflicted party into their predicament in the first place and what they might have "inadvertently" forgotten to mention as the real cause of the contact.

My other favorites: Have you ever been... (And yes, shot is something I've been and can't even begin to explain)

And, I saw in this movie...

Alright, ladies and gents who wear a badge for a living, let the games begin!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
It's all part of being an Officer.

I take every opportunity to educate my friends and family about law enforcement when they ask. It helps them understand things better and reminds me of how I wasn't always a cop and didn't quite understand the things Police did at times either. It's always helpful to see things from others perspectives aside from your own. It definitely makes my job easier at times.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
We've got a cop in our local group and he's a cool cat. Of course there is the usual jokes, but he gives us a hard time right back. If we have questions, he's happy to answer them without giving us a condesending attitude. I wish more cops were like him actually. You'd never know he was a cop when we're just hanging out, he's just one of the guys. No high moral tone or chip on his shoulder, just another car guy.

96svtsnakebite

Established Member
I love hearing stories from cops,soldiers. It's always nice to know how some cops go about handling things.its better to know than not to know

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Doesn't only happen to officers. I always get asked random questions about what i do for a living. Even at the doctors office, what i always want to say is "hire someone to do it for you".

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I've been a firefighter for the last 32 years, just retired, been shot at and missed, shit at and hit, through riots, had the FF guy right behind me get shot on a run through our ghetto..just about all the BS you can deal with.
Every time I meet someone they all want to know "what's the worst thing you've ever seen?"
I reply by telling them, "Well, figure out the worst hing you can imagine, something that makes you wretch instantly, like drinking from a bottle and finding a roach in it, but you can't get sick, you have to suck it up and force yourself to continue, because some person, kid, baby or whatever is dying right in front of you"..whatever that thing is, I've been there..several times.
That usually stops the conversation cold, especially over dinner.

Badass_Forever

Established Member
Its funny you started this, this has happened to me three times, but it was the officer who was talking to me about cars! I parents live 30mins from me in a small town on a lake. Its a town of about 5000 people and in the summer they have speed traps where the speed limit goes from 80kms to 50kms. I grew up in this town so I know not to speed in this area.

Anyway, i'm 6 for 6 at being pulled over in the Stang at this speed point. I'm 27 now but I still look young. They never tell me why they have pulled me over and I've never asked. They check me out and send me on my way. The last three times I've been pulled over, each officer has told me a story about pulling over other mustangs and the kind of people they were dealing with. I just laugh and finish with a joke and carry on my way. I guess it just comes when you do/drive something different.

badws6ta

God hates us all
Established Member
Any time one of my non LEO military buddies calls me at a strange time, I know before I answer the phone its either going to be about a ticket or legal advice.

My least favorite thing is when I am in college and one of the hipster kids asks me about weed or something else then tries to get me into an argument about it. When the teachers make us introduce ourselves in a new class now I don't ever mention my job anymore

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member

I take every opportunity to educate my friends and family about law enforcement when they ask. It helps them understand things better and reminds me of how I wasn't always a cop and didn't quite understand the things Police did at times either. It's always helpful to see things from others perspectives aside from your own. It definitely makes my job easier at times.
Same here, as an attorney friends, family, acquaintances and forum members are always asking and I have no problem providing a little advice and direction. Comes with the territory.

So many lawyers charge by the minute that people are afraid to contact one until they have no choice when a short conversation a few weeks or months earlier could have entirely avoided the problem they now face.

Although no applicable to LEOs, no fee initial (and sometimes repeated) consultations in my mind is just good business, kind of like a loss leader in retail. I find people really appreciate and remember when I tell them they do not need a lawyer at this time and what may trigger the need for legal counsel should their concerns progress.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Although im not a cop, fireman, attorney, or soldier i get the most repeatedly annoying question asked all time. I am an identical twin and my brother and I take every college class together(makes it way easier) and every new semester or people that just want to talk have to start with
"Who's born first?"
"Can you read each others mind"
"Can you feel each others pain"
"Insert any myth about twins here and ask if its true"
Its common sense that we cant but it never fails maybe a dozen people the first week of classes and once a week during the average school year and it never fails when the questions start rolling.

Im1livewire

Established Member
Although im not a cop, fireman, attorney, or soldier i get the most repeatedly annoying question asked all time. I am an identical twin and my brother and I take every college class together(makes it way easier) and every new semester or people that just want to talk have to start with
"Who's born first?"
"Can you read each others mind"
"Can you feel each others pain"
"Insert any myth about twins here and ask if its true"
Its common sense that we cant but it never fails maybe a dozen people the first week of classes and once a week during the average school year and it never fails when the questions start rolling.

My ex-wife is an identical twin. Guess some questions I asked her! Hmmm, might be part of the reason we're divorced, eh?!

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I get the occasional "Why do you guys do x,y,z?", "Have you ever saved anyone?", "Whats the worst call you have been on?" (typical stuff) but nothing crazy. If I was an LEO I probably just wouldn't tell anyone what I do for a living if I could help it. I've heard people say the most obnoxious things and ask the rudest questions to guys at scenes...I can't imagine what must be said away from the general public.

jbs$

Established Member
If you do your job in an honest and straight foward manner, you have nothing to apologize for. Where officers get into trouble in these circumstances is, they forget to tell the truth the first time, then, they have to try to remember who they said what to. Also, if you have dealt with the public fairly and respectfully, you have done yourself and your profession a service. If you do these things, hold your head up and be proud of your service. When other bring up horror stories, you can say "That is not the way that I conduct myself".

wesessiah

Established Member
I get the occasional "Why do you guys do x,y,z?", "Have you ever saved anyone?", "Whats the worst call you have been on?" (typical stuff) but nothing crazy. If I was an LEO I probably just wouldn't tell anyone what I do for a living if I could help it. I've heard people say the most obnoxious things and ask the rudest questions to guys at scenes...I can't imagine what must be said away from the general public.
most of my neighbors have no idea what i do for a living. they'll either bug you to death, or not talk to you anymore. the second is fine, but it's irritating hearing "my brother's baby's mama's cousin's son got a ticket, can you get the officer to drop it?"
Since when did some police officers stop considering themselves civilians?
Police are supposed to be of the people, not an army at war against the people. You're not the military.

the id cards differentiate between the two (at least here) where an officer's id will say "is a full time sworn officer employed by..." where a dispatcher's will say "... is a full time civilian employee..."
we (most) still see ourselves as regular joes and get just as mad about things like proposed gun bans etc.

semi-related to the thread, which i'm sure most have seen...
25 Signs you know you're a cop said:
1.) You have the bladder capacity of five people combined.

2.) You have restrained someone and it was not a sexual experience.

3.) You believe that 50 percent of people are a waste of good air.

4.) Your idea of a good time is a “man with a gun” call.

5.) You conduct a criminal record check on anyone who seems friendly towards you.

6.) You believe in the aerial spraying of Prozac and birth control pills.

7.) You disbelieve 90 percent of what you hear and 75 percent of what you see.

8.) You have your weekends off planned for a year.

9.) You believe the government should require a permit to reproduce.

10.) You refer to your favorite restaurant by the intersection at which it’s located.

11.) You have ever wanted to hold a seminar entitled: “Suicide: Getting it right the first time.”

12.) You ever had to put the phone on hold before you begin laughing uncontrollably.

13.) You think caffeine should be available in IV form.

14.) You know anyone who says, “I only had two beers” is going to blow at least a .15

15.) You find out a lot about paranoia just by following people around.

16.) Anyone has ever said to you, “There are people killing other people out there and you are here messing with me.”

17.) People flag you down on the street and ask you directions to strange places...and you know where it’s located.

18.) You can discuss where you are going to eat with your partner while standing over a dead body.

19.) You are the only person introduced at social gatherings by profession.

20.) You walk into places and people think it’s high comedy to grab their buddy and shout, “They’ve come to get you, Bill.”

21.) You do not see daylight from November until May.

22.) People shout, “I didn’t do it!” when you walk into a room and think they’re being hugely funny and original.

23.) A week’s worth of laundry consists of five T-shirts, five pairs of socks, and five pairs of underwear.

24.) You’ve ever referred to Tuesday as “my weekend.”

25.) You’ve ever written off guns and ammunition as a business deduction.

cbj5259

Established Member
I stopped telling people what I do for a living a long time ago. I usually just say I work in customer service. What I never will understand is why people feel its OK to bad mouth cops to another cop? I used go get so sick and tired of people finding out what I did for a living and then proceeding to tell me about how they have been violated, beaten, abused and issued numerous citations for offenses that they never committed by such and such police department.. Never once did any of them do anything to deserve said beating, arrest or citation. First of all...I really don't care about your experience with such and such police department. Secondly, I work with many of those guys and gals from such and such police department and have never seen them do anything of the sort. I know them alot better than I know you. Thirdly, what possible sign did I give you that makes you think I want to hear you bash my fellow brothers and sisters? Some of which have died in the service of their community. Would someone think its reasonable to go to a doctors office and then proceed to tell the doctor that he hates all doctors and that they are all liars and cheats? Of course not. Why then do people feel its OK, especially if we have just met, to sit there and bash other cops to off duty cops? I'll never get it. That's why I don't even mention my job to anyone anymore

Sent from my sharona

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member

this guy, he gets it.

take it as a compliment that people want to know about your job, and are interested in relating to you and your job. i'm in the healthcare field, and i get every odd question under the sun about the last time someone saw their doctor, or what i think is wrong with someone based on their vague symptoms.

if you worked in a boring-ass cubicle crunching numbers all day long, no one would give a care to inquire about your work.

its part of the job, take it as a compliment

Users who are viewing this thread