Convert '92 AOD to T5 or sell and start over?

werstlna

Established Member
I've got a very stock '92 Notch AOD w/ 47k and in nice shape. I really miss rowing my own gears, but this car is in pretty nice shape with low miles. Would it make more sense to convert this car to a T5 or sell it and look for a 5 speed Fox? More than likely I'd like to end up with a streetable stock looking car that makes 300+ rwhp.

I'm not emotionally or financially super attached to the current car, but if I start dropping some major coin into it to get it where I like it then I won't want to sell.

If I convert it to a 5 speed will it hurt the resale b/c collectors want an all original car? I'm assuming most Mustang enthusiasts want a 5 speed anyhow.

07_28_081992MustangLX50Exterior10.jpg

07_28_081992MustangLX50Interior3.jpg

blownfox

Established Member
I think if your going to do the swap I would go with the t-56 over the 5sp. This was one of the best mods I did.

btw once you get 300 hp you'll want more. It was the same way with my h/c/i combo it made 300hp but a year later I already wanted more.

lone sailor

Established Member
Ask yourself this......Is this really the car I want, other than not having the transmission I want? If you can live with selling it, then sell. If you can't live with selling it, do a T5 swap. It'll likely cost you less in the long run to sell it and buy a factory 5 speed than it will to do the swap. Good luck.

4valvemach

Established Member
well if you did sell it what would you buy another notchback, LX or a GT if a notchback again then I would just convert yours to a 5spd.I think the gt looks the best:banana:

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Convert it. its cheap and easy and wont change the value of the car. When i bought my tko 600 i sold my t5 with 65k miles on it to a dude on corral.net for like 250 bucks cause he was converting his to a 5 speed. He got the rest of the crap he needed such as pedals, etc on the net for next to nothing.

werstlna

Established Member
well if you did sell it what would you buy another notchback, LX or a GT if a notchback again then I would just convert yours to a 5spd.I think the gt looks the best:banana:

This is a good question. I like the notch a little better than hatchback, but I wouldn't kick a hatch out of my garage. The notch has a more distinctive style, and of course it's a little lighter. I guess I'd kinda like to find a Fox that has been built right already b/c you usually spend a bunch more in the build up than what you can get when you sell it after it's done. In The Market forum there are some nice already built Foxes, in various levels of power and condition. The problem with this is you don't know for sure how the last guy built it and what short cuts were taken.

Users who are viewing this thread