Convertable boot

frankin

Established Member
Has anyone had a problem with the boot not fitting right on their car. I bought this car used and the owner tells me that this is the boot that came with the car. I stopped using it because one day I was going through the gears briskly and it flew the hell off! There was not much traffic on the road so I was able to recover it. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

RacerDan

Established Member
mine is sitting in my garage, it's been on the car maybe twice. I didn't care for the way it fit and I was pretty sure it would end up flying off at some point.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
Mine has been on my car exactly twice. At the last two X-mas parades when I drove some dignitaries. The right button doesn't connect completely, so I never bother with it. I don't usually have the top down long enough to warrant the boot, i.e., driving to/from work, the track & back, day trips, etc. Good luck if you can get yours to fit and stay.

frankin

Established Member
Thanks! for the feedback. I'm going to check with Ford and try to find out why they couldn't give us a boot that fit right. I will look for an aftermarket product. I don't use mine that much, but the damn thing should fit right.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I use it on occassion. Used to put it on all the time, but it is more of a PITA than it is worth. Just drop top and forget about the boot. On rare occassions (photo shoots or what not) then I may put it on.

The orgininal starts to get creases where the bends are at, and like mentioned before, the middle part never really stays down as it should - never seems to catch into the slot.

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
mine took flight at highway speeds. By the time i got back to it, it had been shreaded into a pile of polyfill looking stuff. I got another one from Ford, but it is more like a soft speedster cover. It covers the back seat, but it stays on real well and is tight. I dont put it on often, but it does look pretty cool.

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
KENZILLA said:
mine took flight at highway speeds. By the time i got back to it, it had been shreaded into a pile of polyfill looking stuff. I got another one from Ford, but it is more like a soft speedster cover. It covers the back seat, but it stays on real well and is tight. I dont put it on often, but it does look pretty cool.
So if this happens, for example, under warrenty, sounds like a good way to get a newer, better boot. Hmmmmm.

GREENMAN80

Established Member
Yeah, after they changed the boot design it 01, they don't fit well at all. I hate mine, I have two of them and I have the one off of my 2000GT which fit wonderful and looked awesome, I wish I could use it but the new design they came out with has the tips of the top protruding throught the well. if there was a way to get the top to fit fluch with the well like they used to, the 00 tonneau would be sweet, goes on it under a minute and stays put! no buttons either!

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
frankin said:
Has anyone had a problem with the boot not fitting right on their car. I bought this car used and the owner tells me that this is the boot that came with the car. I stopped using it because one day I was going through the gears briskly and it flew the hell off! There was not much traffic on the road so I was able to recover it. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

+1 :lol: Same thing happened to me on a blast up to 130 or so. I pulled into my garage and said "Hey, where's my boot?" :p

gmynko

I like injecting people
Established Member
KENZILLA said:

Got a part #?

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
gmynko said:
+1 :lol: Same thing happened to me on a blast up to 130 or so. I pulled into my garage and said "Hey, where's my boot?" :p

:lol: Too funny. Kenzilla do you have some pics of your new boot on your car that covers the back seat. I've seen them before but would like to see some more pics.

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
Damn maybe i was putting mines on wrong, but I took it up to 125 and it stayed on, when putting the middle in, i just pushed it all the way down, and it got kinda wedged in there.

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
PA SNAKE said:
Well... I guess I know where mine will be this summer...

where? in the middle of the interstate? lol....j/k

Mine's never been on the car, and neither was the one on my 01. I'm selling it BTW since I don't need it taking up space.

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
I have a profound dislike for the cover Ford gave us. I purchased the one found here:
http://www.fordpartspeople.com/Sear...411391&year=03&productdesc=Mini+Tonneau+Cover

It fits great, and will not blow off at any speed I've taken it up to**

Here's a pic
424662_71_full.jpg

** does not indicate that I can either confirm or deny exceeding lawfully posted speed limits. YMMV.

Last edited:

beabout

Established Member
Yep, got that one myself, had it for several years, still looks good and cheaper than hard cover and easier to deal with...

KENZILLA

Well ya, Its fast!
Established Member
Special Blend said:
:lol: Too funny. Kenzilla do you have some pics of your new boot on your car that covers the back seat. I've seen them before but would like to see some more pics.

I have the same one as above. http://www.fordpartspeople.com/Sear...i+Tonneau+Cover
I dont put it on to much, but it fits real nice and tight. It also hides any cargo you may have in the back seat.

Users who are viewing this thread