Convertible Gurus...

03snkvert

Established Member
Last night I put in 2 new hydraulic cylinders for the convertible top. I got as much of the old fluid out of the pump as I could and filled it with new Synthetic Mobil 1 ATF (Dexron III compatible).

I followed the bleeding instruction I found on the site, and kept the cylinders lower than the pump and cycle the cylinders 3 times. Then I put everything back together and cycled the top. As the top comes down to the Windshield the top slams down, it used to slow down as I got to that point.

I tried to do some reading last night before going to bed, and a few articles/posts I read from different forums said that it could be air in the lines still. I have now problem un-bolting everything again, but just would like to know if there is anything else I should be looking for.

Thanks

Corey

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I had to replace the drivers side last summer. I don't recall the type of Oil used. I do recall that the oil type was spec'ed somewhere on the pump. I followed similar instruction. mine slightly slams when it gets to the windshield also....I know this is normal.
My new in box 04 vert GT did it also. as does my 03 cobra.

COBRA_ESQ

Established Member
mine slightly slams when it gets to the windshield also....I know this is normal.
My new in box 04 vert GT did it also. as does my 03 cobra.
Not so sure this is normal. Mine comes down smooth contacting the windshield softly with out so much as a thud and rests on top of the windshield. I then need to pull it down about 1/4" as I latch it. This is my first Mustang, but all my prior verts were about the same.

03snkvert

Established Member
Went out and messed with it a bit last night. It was quite a bit better than is was, I think maybe some of the air worked itself out of the line.

The first few times I cycled it, it didn't slam down like it was, but after cycling around 4 times or so it seemed to start coming down a little harder. Now that it has settled for a couple of days, I am going to pull the fill plug out and make sure it is full!

Users who are viewing this thread