Convertible - How long can I keep top down in garage?

CobraVert97

C O B R A
Established Member
Is there a limit/guideline how long I can keep the top down? Obviously car would be covered, however it is a standard garage (humidity & temperature not controlled)
I've heard stories that leaving the top down too long in a moist environment is bad for it?
Mind you this is no spring chicken (original top from 11 yrs ago) but it rarely, if ever, sees bad weather.

Also, if I were to purchase a hardtop to install on it, would that be any different as far as keeping the vert down for extended periods of time? Any difference as in that case it would better sealed from moisture. I often wondered about those cars & how the tops hold up after being kept down for extended periods.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Is there a limit/guideline how long I can keep the top down? Obviously car would be covered, however it is a standard garage (humidity & temperature not controlled)
I've heard stories that leaving the top down too long in a moist environment is bad for it?
Mind you this is no spring chicken (original top from 11 yrs ago) but it rarely, if ever, sees bad weather.

Also, if I were to purchase a hardtop to install on it, would that be any different as far as keeping the vert down for extended periods of time? Any difference as in that case it would better sealed from moisture. I often wondered about those cars & how the tops hold up after being kept down for extended periods.

The only issue, if it can be considered an issue that I have experienced is that "if" the soft top is folded for an extended period (months), the wrinkles get set into the top more than if the soft top is only down for an afternoon or weekend. Once the car is out in the sun for a couple of hours with the soft top up and attached to the windshield, these "hard" wrinkles disappear. I have never had any moisture/humidity issues. My guess would be that if the top material were to mildew, the interior, being in the same environment would also mildew. The soft top well is not air tight so there is air flow, or lack-of, as much as any of the interior area. The other key is to make sure the soft top is fully dry before folding it, in other words, no driving the car in the rain one day with the soft top up, and then folding it the next day and leaving it folded for a couple weeks with the boot over the top of it. I have also seen water laying in the convert. top well because of leaks on some used cars at car lots, maybe after rain, maybe after washing the car? If this water is left in the well area, it will create a moisture problem, but that is not damaging the top material because the soft top is folded for an extended period, it is because the car leaks, and the water or leaks are not being dealt with.

That 2-Top that I link from eBay has had it's original (never replaced) soft top folded in its well for the past 3-4 years, with no issues. My guess is that the owner before me, who bought that car new, also kept the soft top down and the Hardtop on most of the cars life. The original soft top is in new condition and 13+ years old. The car itself is an excellent storage place for the Hardtop, especially if the car is rarely driven.

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Is there a reason (besides being too lazy to put it up) for keeping the top down in the garage?

I personally prefered to store my Removable Hardtop on the car instead of on its storage dolly in the garage, so instead of finding a friend to help remove the 90lb. Hardtop, I left it on the car and the soft top folded.

R

Vigilante

Established Member
IIRC its not a direct fit and/or nothing lines up properly, I could be wrong though.

Users who are viewing this thread