Convertible suspension/chassis parts

dhammans

Established Member
Hey guys,

Thought I would start a little discussion on the suspension/chassis subject. I've got a vertible, and before the inevitable "We Need More Power" phase comes into play I'd like to stiffen up the chassis and take care of some of the shortcomings of the car (i.e. wheelhop). I was looking at a few parts and was curious what people's thoughts would be.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that subframe connectors are a good way to go. I was looking at two sets, the Kenny Brown Matrix, and the Global West ladder style. Keeping in mind I know very little about Mustang chassis/suspension (sorry, Mitsubishi nut talking here) I don't really know if these are sufficient, overkill, bad idea, or good idea from a traditional wisdom standpoint.

To help with wheelhop I was looking at a set of Steeda/Prothane or MM diff bushings, and the other Steeda/Prothane IRS bushings. Do the control arm bushings or the subframe bushings make a difference in preventing wheelhop?

I had also pretty much settled on a CDC lightbar, the subject has been brought up before, but I'm not sure if I got a clear impression. Do these do anything to stiffen things up?

Thanks guys...

71stang99

Established Member
from what I know the CDC lightbar doesnt do anything for chassis stiffening, I used the maximum motorsport full length subframe connectors and dont know the differences between the ones you mentioned however the MM units work great and I felt the difference from the get go

nj7703

Established Member
For sure the full lengh MM's stiffen the car up like night and day. As far as wheel hop, i lowered my PSI down to 27, and it helped a lot!! IRS bushing, drag shocks, a lot more cna be done to really eliminate it, or try to anyway.

dhammans

Established Member
I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if the regular full length subframes (MM, Steeda, KB double cross) are sufficient, or if I should get a set of the KB Matrix, or Global West subframes.

My car isn't a drag car, I just want it to be nice and firm like my Cobra coupe was without the shakes.

dhammans

Established Member
anyone? is it worth the extra jing for the complete Kenny Brown / Global West setup?

dhammans

Established Member
Thanks for the info County... I'm new to the Mustang world, it would be a complete shock in the import world to need subframe connectors! :)

Looks like I'll place an order from MM tomorrow. Thanks again,

-D

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
Got the MM Full lengths and some Nitto 555Rs and wheel hop is almost all gone. When it's over 60 degrees, I can't hop for my life.
I'm also getting springs as soon as the H&Rs are available and that should greatly reduce my chances of hop.
That's my plan.

dhammans

Established Member
That is good to know, you don't have the IRS bushings either do you?

I was starting to think live axle because I just can't stand wheel hop! :)

I spent a lot of time sorting out wheelhop in my AWD, now *that* was a pain in the ass. When there is an easy light at the end of the tunnel with the Cobra it is a relief.

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Originally posted by dhammans
I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if the regular full length subframes (MM, Steeda, KB double cross) are sufficient, or if I should get a set of the KB Matrix, or Global West subframes.

My car isn't a drag car, I just want it to be nice and firm like my Cobra coupe was without the shakes.

Just put the MM full length SFC's with the KB Extreme Matrix braces and jacking rails on last weekend. :eek: :rockon: :bowdown:
This car is stiffer than my old '01 Coupe! What a difference - night and day.

dhammans

Established Member
Just put the MM full length SFC's with the KB Extreme Matrix braces and jacking rails on last weekend.
This car is stiffer than my old '01 Coupe! What a difference - night and day.

Was it a complicated affair to mix/match the parts? I'm not really in the know as far as how they interact with each other.

What prompted you to do that combination?

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
I am interested in the same questions.
Kenny Brown give a 15% discount to SVTOA members if you order direct from them. The price with shipping for the KB Extreme Matrix for the 03 vert is $276 (at least to my zip code):
$299 minus 15% discount=254
shipping was another 22.
This is what I am leaning towards, because I like the Jacking rails and the extra rigidity of the extreme matrix.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Not to jack this thread, but if any of you want to get rid of the stock subframes connectors, please PM me a line with how much you want.

Thanks,

Cito

maoun

Established Member
the stock vert SFC's are bolt-in and useless....

on my vert i use maximum motorsports full-length SFC's

the lightbar will do NOTHING to stiffen.....the rollcage i added ( http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4845 ) made a BIG difference.

i've also done the various MM and griggs bushings on mine....the griggs coilovers were nice too, along with their k-member, etc....

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
The stock subframe connectors are NEAR useless. But, I run a class in autocross in which good subframe connectors are illegal, but convertible SFC's that were stock are legal for my coupe (with a little welding to boot).

They might be worth a little extra stiffness to me, and that is why I am looking for them. So, if you are going to throw out the bad stock ones, please PM me and maybe we can work out a deal.

Thanks again,

Cito

maoun

Established Member
gotcha....then they are definitely good for you cito...

if he doesn't pass you his, PM me and i'll give you a set....we've got plenty of em

dhammans

Established Member
Hey Maoun, did you do the cage in-house? You guys did a really nice job blending it into the interior of the car. Have you considered doing some padding/upholstry on the bars or are you going to leave it with the standard rollbar padding?

Users who are viewing this thread