Convertible Top Switch?

Matt M PA

Established Member
I saw on another post that you can use the convertible top switch (in a coupe) for other things. I'd like to do that, but was wondering if anyone knew how this would work. Meaning, is it a momentary switch..and if so, how could it be used for turning on an accessory, for example.

I'd love to rid my car of that stupid, worthless coin thing, and put in a switch that looks factory. But, I was thinking that a top switch must be momentary...that it would have to be pressed down all the time to keep something wired to it "on".

Thanks!

Matt M PA

Established Member
JB...thanks, great info.

One question please....is that a three position switch? I am thinking it is set for "up", "down" and off. Tht would allow triggering of two different items.

Matt M PA

Established Member
soccer8888....the coupe's have that little coin holder, worthless, rattly thing where the convertible top switch is on a ragtop. I want to pop that switch in and use it to power something else.

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
Oh, I gotcha, I thought there was an unused electrical switch for coupes. I've seen plenty of people using the coin holder area for flip chips or n2o arming.

Matt M PA

Established Member
UPDATE...

I got the switch, and first 3000 wet or dry sandpapered the lettering off.

I then wired it to remotely mute my V1. I already have the concealed display flushmounted in front of the shifter with the V1 itself mounted behind that matrix stuff at the top of the windshield.

Since it is a two wayt switch, I may use the othe position for something else later. Thanks to this board for giving the idea of using this switch!

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Coupes even have the circuitry under the console. Perfect place to tap in for switched voltage source. I used the purple wire as a source for my speed compensator in my 98 (not sure which one is hot in the 03, but it's a simple matter to determine with the key on and a voltage meter).

soccer8888

Tech. Noob
Established Member
SnakeBit said:
Coupes even have the circuitry under the console. Perfect place to tap in for switched voltage source. I used the purple wire as a source for my speed compensator in my 98 (not sure which one is hot in the 03, but it's a simple matter to determine with the key on and a voltage meter).

Thats actually really useful information, thanks! Are you sure the 03's are the same?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I'm sure that the harness for the vert is also in the coupe, but I'm NOT sure what color the hot wire is.

BTW, for years, Ford has used the same harness in all models of the Mustang. Fo example, the LX has the plugs for fog lights, even if the car did not originally come with fog lights. You could buy the lights from someone like Saleen, knock out the blanks, wrench in the lights and hook them up to the plug the factory put in. Go inside, knock out the blank, install the switch and hook it up to the factory plug and now you be stylin'. This all makes sense since Ford only has to make one wiring harness no matter which Mustang it goes in. Then it's just a matter of what accessories get plugged in.

Users who are viewing this thread