converting from i.r.s. to solid axle

danimal 95

Established Member
any one that has converted an 03 cobra from the factory irs to a solid axle please give me a detailed list of the parts needed(and part #'s if available) I will be performing this change over on a customers car in the next couple of weeks and would like a heads up thanks in advance

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
uuuuh...maybe it's just me....but....i wouldn't let you do this on my car if you had to ask for help...

Sorry dude.

B

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
In brief, you need everything under the rear of a late model GT plus the caliper mounting brackets from a '97 Cobra if you intend to reuse the '03 Cobra brakes and a 5 inch Cobra pinion flange to mate to the Cobra D/S.

Dana

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
In brief, you need everything under the rear of a late model GT plus the caliper mounting brackets from a '97 Cobra if you intend to reuse the '03 Cobra brakes and a 5 inch Cobra pinion flange to mate to the Cobra D/S.

Dana

Or you can use the GT DS

B

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Originally posted by VegasCobra
Or you can use the GT DS

B

I didn't go that route, but if you did and it does work, that's great. Another option.

A third option is to swap D/S ends and retain the Cobra D/S with an end that will match the GT pinion flange. You get to keep the larger Cobra D/S that way.

There are probably several more ways to attack this, but I'm too tired now to think about it. :D

:sleeping:

Dana

danimal 95

Established Member
so all the abs sensors and all the other bs will basically mate up to the older rearend parts?

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Don't forget about a catback exhaust. The catback on IRS routes under the halfshafts, but on a live axle, it routes over the axle tubes. I would think that a GT catback should work. Maybe someone who has done this will chime in as well.

One more thing, if you change the rear gear ratio, then you'll need a compensator. DM Speedcal is my current favorite.

Good luck.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
When I said everything, I meant everything, (HA! HA!) exhaust included, plus hangers too. I really didn't want to get into each specific part required then. You also need springs and shocks and control arms and sway bar, if you go that route.
And yes the GT exhaust will work. That is what I installed on mine. Fits just fine. The Cobra exhaust can not be converted to work.

And yes, if you make a big jump in ratios, you'll have to do something.
The PCM may be able to be reflashed to accomodate the different rear gear. If you are only going to a 3.73, which is what I did, it's not worth worrying about. It's off by a couple of MPH, but is actually correct when I run the ET Streets due to the different tire diameter.

If the donor car does not have Cobra 11.7 inch brakes, you will need caliper mounting brackets from a '97 Cobra to make the '03 Cobra calipers and rotors fit.

Dana

danimal 95

Established Member
Originally posted by VegasCobra
uuuuh...maybe it's just me....but....i wouldn't let you do this on my car if you had to ask for help...

Sorry dude.

B

I am quit capable of performing this swap and have done much more difficult tasks in the past I was asking for a parts list in order to make my life easier,but thanks for the critisism

Rwick7

Established Member
danimal

It's a pretty straight forward swap . Where are you located in IL?

do a search on these forums...Dana and myself have listed parts many times

davidmax

Established Member
The GT catback works great plenty of room for a healtty,free flowing 3" system.Dave Smilovic,LOVE MY 8.8/410's/4500 stall that locks at 6,000 I aint complaining as it pins your eye balls to the back of your headI can get either with pedal modulation,Dave Smilovic

Users who are viewing this thread