Converting to LED lighting for interior and exterior...need help!

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I am changing out all of the interior and exterior lighting for my Terminated 03 Mach. I need to know what size LEDS work for...

The gauge cluster...I understand These are the LEDs I want

Ok these LED's in "cool white" are PERFECT for the cluster, youll need 5 of these. One thing is their contacts do not have a spring wire like the stock bulbs. So you may have to gently pry the bulb holders contacts tighter...and I mean gently. I also put a drop of silicone sealer (like caulk but for exterior windows) on the edge of the bulb holder so that when the bulb is slid into place you just wiggle it a little and boom the silicone grabs the bulb and once dry...it aint coming out! Also figure it takes a minute to figure out where the pos and neg are on these things, if they dont fire pop the screw cap out rotate it and reinstall it...you should be good. Now I gotta figure out if the red, yellow etc lights on the bottom are colored or if its the film thats colored. If its the film then....im doing those lights next.

This is before
cluster1.jpg

This is after
cluster2.jpg

A/C, License plate, dome light and map lights came in today and are installed. I cannot test them yet as it is still light out, so new pics will be up tonight. Also I do not think im gonna like the A/C bulbs much, so once its dark and I can test em...ill make a final decision. And I hope exchanges and returns to superbrightleds is easy...Ive extra dash leds I wanna return and maybe two A/C ones depending.

The A/C controls
I am told these work...but I am not so sure can someone confirm please?

Ok the A/C ones are kinda meh. Sure they are brighter but due to the design of the A/C control box the red section of the temp control will be "hot". I may redo these but honestly I believe finding the right bulb is gonna be rough.

So here is the entire dash with the A/C lights done

dash1.jpg

I also understand the license plate lights
are these...the same as the A/C controls

However! The same bulbs in the A/C work pretty good for the License plate lights

plate.jpg

Also here are the festoon bulbs in the map lights. Its hard to get a decent shot since im right next to a danged street light here at the house, but it works damned well

map1.jpg

And here are all the bulbs I used for the entire conversion.

bulbs.jpg

Dash lights are
74-CWHP3

A/C and License plate bulbs are
WLED-CW6

Map lights are
4410-CW9

Dome light is
4410-B9 I picked blue for my dome light, however I do not know if it is the bulb I was sent or if the size is wrong. My understanding is the bulb is a 44mm bulb. However for whatever reason my blue one is about 2mm too long and doesnt seat right. So I gotta call superbright and either A get a new bulb or B get a 42mm bulb. But otherwise thats more or less everything...enjoy guys

These are all correct right?

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
No clue but Id like to see it when you are done! lol

Ill post pics when I get it all done :)
Ill probably do the dash cluster tomorrow....and ill see if these bulbs fit the a/c and license plates tomorrow too. If it doesnt all fit well ill see if superbright will exchange or refund me.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Well I can confirm that for the license plates on my 03

will not work with these.

I havent busted open the dash yet, planning on doing it tomorrow if time will let me.
Once that is all done, i will make sure to post up links to each bulb for each location and how many are needed.
I havent touched the dome light or map lights yet. Im not planning on doing the map lights yet since the bulbs are still good. But the dome and maps are the same bulb so once mine comes in ill post up links etc. My dome light is gonna be blue to match the car (azure), and when the bulbs go out ill change em out to pure white. Sadly my dome light assembly has a stupid short pigtail so it isnt the easiest to get in and out ha ha.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Hey man, I think these might be the ones you actually want for the gauge cluster. I think the ones you have posted in your link will have severe warm spots due to only have 3 LEDs.

194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base | Instrument Cluster and Gauge | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

I thought about those, but the one write up I found states that the 74's are the ones needed for the 03 mach cluster. As for hot spots, im not too worried about em as LED's dont run hot at all...well Luxeon LED's do but these little things I dont see it giving me a problem. However if the ones I have now dont fit or work right, Ill swap em to the correct part and will add to my list here.

Last edited:

starnsey

Established Member
I thought about those, but the one write up I found states that the 74's are the ones needed for the 03 mach cluster. As for hot spots, im not too worried about em as LED's dont run hot at all...well Luxeon LED's do but these little things I dont see it giving me a problem. However if the ones I have now dont fit or work right, Ill swap em to the correct part and will add to my list here.

Oh no, I don't mean hot as in temperature. I mean like the locations of the LEDs behind the cluster will be noticeably brighter than the areas that are further away from the LEDs. So you'll have a section of the cluster bright and at the boundaries of the light it'll be dim as opposed to consistent brightness across the cluster. You want to make sure its got a wide angle beam.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Oh no, I don't mean hot as in temperature. I mean like the locations of the LEDs behind the cluster will be noticeably brighter than the areas that are further away from the LEDs. So you'll have a section of the cluster bright and at the boundaries of the light it'll be dim as opposed to consistent brightness across the cluster. You want to make sure its got a wide angle beam.

The units I bought are 360 degree lighting so it should be good. Ill find out today

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Very interested to see a complete list of bulbs needed

The others for the A/C controls, license plate, dome and maps will be coming in within the next few days. So once they are here and and I can get em in and confirmed to work. Ill have a bulb list up for you guys as well as any little tweaks or tips for the install :)

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
New pictures and part numbers with links in the original post. Im done messing with this now I do believe. Enjoy guys!

4v_mach1

Established Member
Nice I'm digging the interior LED's especially the cluster. I always thought stock looked a bit cheesy. Are there different color options for the interior?

edit: I just saw the links for the LED lights & color choices. Sweet. I wonder if the red is that orange/redish amber looking color.

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Honestly I only got to drive it at night last night, and it was actually damned nice with these cool white LEDs. Before it was like driving in the dark. Now I can see the panel with ease. Also I will tell you right now...the dash dimmer no longer works. The LEDs do not generate enough of a load to allow the rheostat in the dash to dim these things. But for me that aint a big deal as they sit right where I want them with no problem.
Now I gotta get off my ass and run my boost gauge stuff and get my dimmable power bus installed in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread