Converting to T56

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
There have been 5 widely known conversions. I am one of them.

Bennett coachworks
scottselle
svt-bansheeman
02silverbullet (aka 1qwktrk on the other forum)
relykz

Expect a budget between $4-7k+

There is at least one other swap in progress
best info grouped together. Lightning/HD Auto to Standard Conversion - Lightning Forum | LightningRodder.com
other info can be found searching the net. feel free to ask any questions.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
viper spec t56 is unique to viper, it is not a magnum t56 AFAIK unless 4 gen and later vipers something changed.

if you search scottselle's thread on here you will see issues with using the mustang trans, namely
stock 10 spline input shaft is weak and still should be changed.
front case cover will likely need to be changed depending on how you do the clutch (supposedly almost $900)
gear ratios are different, though you are less likely to want to swap to 4.10's when using the mustang trans and ratios.

read, read, read... the trucks that have done the swap all have the reasons things were done the way they were. there is another truck who is going to attempt to use the mustang trans and either a very custom cable actuated clutch or a cable/hydro hybrid. but I do not know his progress. :burnout:

Jase Sherwood

Established Member
I really appreciate the reply. This is why i am on this forum is to ask. The price difference is not that much. I think I will take your advice and go with the viper spec t56. Thanks

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I picked up a used bell housing for my t56 for under $100 shipped.

Like he said, go to that lightning rodder site and read. You need to read ALL those threads and info there. Once you do that, i will help you a lot once you purchase the trans itself or other major parts so i see you are commited. I'm not trying to get you on that forum because "it's the place to be." It's because most info on the manual swap rest in that section. Enjoy.

6 speed Lightning walkaround #2 - YouTube
11.447 @ 119.80mph - YouTube
bleachers view- YouTube

and go with the viper trans from the car. Do not use the one from the srt10 ram. Why? read some threads and find out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread