Converting twin GT Pumps to return style?

BadAzztt

Established Member
Hey all, been a away from the hobby for a while and my Cobra has just been sitting in the garage for the most part for the last few years. Looking to get her going again.

Anyway, I have a Fore hat with the single 8an output, twin GT pumps and blocked off return port right now with dual FPDM wired up. Running to aftermarket rails and 60lb injectors. Return style systems were just coming out as I fell away from working on my car.

I want to go return style (still have the flat falling on its face between gears last I drove it) and want to know what I need to change to make that happen. I see a lot of systems right now that have the Walbro pumps.

I know I need a 6 AN return line and regulator. Do the GT pumps work? if not do the Walbro pumps fit, if so which ones? If not do I need a whole new hat or can mine be modified?

Just looking for a moderate horsepower system. Running 500 hp right now plus spray occasionally. Any insight you have would be great.

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
Not sure if your hat can be used or not in the return setup. If so, i have a pair of walbro pumps I am removing from my fore return hat setup.
If interested let me know.
I may even sell my entire hat and pumps if you are really interested.

TNTLightning

DSG Terminator
Established Member
You need -6 return line and regulator, unplug the return port on the hat, screw in a fitting for the -6 return line, and yes, you will need to go to the 255lph walbro's as the GT pumps are made for a returnless system. The 255's will fit in your hat. I don't however understand why you have the "falling on it's face between gears". It might be in the tune.

BadAzztt

Established Member
Thanks,that's the info I was looking for. As far as the hesitation goes, I tried to have it worked out in the tune and it got better but had two different notable tuners (at least at the time) try and work it out. It seems the fuel pressure dips and hesitates as it builds back up between gears. doesn't happen if i speed shift but don't always want to bang the gears. Figured i would just get rid of the flat spot and get a more reliable supply like i have been used to on my turbo cars for years.

I have been reading up and some mention I will need to ditch the FPDM. Is there a simple method for this? It is really required or will a simple wiring change suffice?

BadAzztt

Established Member
Okay, did some searching on here and just want to make sure I have all my info correct...

1) i can use the GT pumps in a return style and people have (its returnless pumps that can't be used in a return style)
2) i need a fitting for the inside of my hat so the fuel return goes back into the bottom of the tank
3) ditch the FPDM's all together and run a harness to a relay/s to run the fuel pumps directly

Only question I have remaining is some say to use 1 relay while others say to use 1 for each pump. Any opinions out there as to which is better?

Users who are viewing this thread