Coolant Change

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I just received my 160 degree stat for my car yesterday and went out and bought the yellow coolant from Ford. My question is I have the green stuff now and want to go to the yellow stuff because Cobra'03 and others have stated that it is much better for a number of reasons. The label says not to mix with the green coolant so does that mean I can just flush my system or what do I need to do. I was planning on draining the system and then refilling it with fresh water and running it to clear the engine and draining it again. It probably would not be a big deal doing this twice before I refill the system would this be sufficient or is there something else I need to do.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
If it came with the old reliable green coolant, stick with the green.
The new yellow/orange/pink extended life coolant hasn't been proven yet.

SnkEyes

Mystical SVT Poster
Established Member
Stay away from the orange antifreeze. I know people with GM vehicles and they are advised to replace it with the green, because the orange tends to eat away at seals after 15K. I would stick the the green also.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The more I think about it I might just return the yellow and get the green and just use that. I will still flush the system to get out any crap left from the build.

Thanks.

ZXnVS

Established Member
If you're going to flush it anyway, why not go with the good stuff? Not sure why the other guy said it "isn't proven yet." I know some people are still using 5W-20 because "Ford says so" even though there's ample evidence the only reason is EPA-mandated fuel economy.

P.S. I'm not bashing you, Red Cobra, just expressing different opinion about the new antifreeze.

lethal

Established Member
I have to agree, my Cobra (and apparently all second run Cobras) have the yellow stuff. Yes, you do not want to mix the two, but a good flush would yield very little mix. I would say to go yellow.

jmir018

GOT SVT?
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
If you're going to flush it anyway, why not go with the good stuff? Not sure why the other guy said it "isn't proven yet." I know some people are still using 5W-20 because "Ford says so" even though there's ample evidence the only reason is EPA-mandated fuel economy.

P.S. I'm not bashing you, Red Cobra, just expressing different opinion about the new antifreeze.

so what oil should you use?

Cobra'03

Established Member
2fast:

Get the fluid reasonably clear (2 or three flush, refills) and then add the proper amount of the yellow. I posted in detail, but it is simply not true that the Gold is "not proved". It has been used in Europe for years, in the most expensive, all aluminum engines in the world under the BASF G5 spec. Your old pal Cobra'03 does not just spout off on these things - I do the research, and I am in the info loop proifessionally.

As I stated before, Yellow is the gold standard (could not resist).

The green and the yellow are not compatible, aqnd can lead to gelling - that is why Ford takes the easy and smart way out by saying, stick with whatever your car came with - that gets them off the hook if someone does a poor job of flushing all the green.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Thanks Cobra'03 that is what I was looking for. I have read all of your posts that is why I want to go yellow and I will flush it clear that will not be a problem.

david smilovic

Established Member
If you go Mobil-1 5-30 will suit you much better tan 10-30,theres a long reason behind the 5-20 but the 5 wt. in the formula is very important to longevity in the 4.6.
As far as coolant goes I use 1/3 coolant yellow/1 bottle red line watter wetter and 2/3 distilled water and here in AZ.even on 117 Degree days flawless.In the inter cooler 6 ozs. water wetter and distilled water and my intake charge is much cooler.
When the ATI goes on next month it will be a custom air to air I.C.
custom made with 30% more cooling capacity then there already large Ford unit.Great Weekend,Dave S.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
too fast4u,
Please let us know just how difficult the thermostat swap is. A 180 degree is on my list of things to do in the near future and I want to know if the amount of work is worth it. I looked around and it looks like a pain to get at.

Thanks,
Dana

lethal

Established Member
toofast-

I'm glad you decided to switch coolants. I don't think you'll regret it. Did you have a specific reason for changing the coolant? Are we supposed to change it every XXX miles?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
toofast-

I'm glad you decided to switch coolants. I don't think you'll regret it. Did you have a specific reason for changing the coolant? Are we supposed to change it every XXX miles?

I am putting in a 160 stat and figured I might as well change the coolent also. And after the build the engine could have crap in the fluid that I would prefer to flush.

Users who are viewing this thread