Coolant leak at Oil Filter Adaptor

ShelbyVaprTrail

Established Member
Has anyone else had this problem?

When I popped the hood the other day, I was greeted with white residue on the engine, belts, and pulleys. So far the only leak I can find is at the metal fitting where a coolant hose joins what I believe is called the Oil Filter Adaptor. The coolant hose is clamped to the fitting, and I believe the fitting is part of the adaptor and not to be removed. According to the repair manual, the replacement process looks fairly involved and I don't think I can tackle this myself. I'm considering some type of epoxy or similar as a temporary repair. Dose anyone have any experience with this issue?
Thanks.

thgt500

Established Member
Had a similar thing happen recently. Certainly sounds like it may be a oil cooler leak or possibly a freeze plug. I had both those on mine. I would suggest pressurizing the system and looking for leaks. Also a leak down and compression check just to be safe. I have seen the 2 o rings where the oil cooler attaches to the block get pinched and leaks start there. Has the motor ever been apart?

Last edited:

00Whitey

Established Member
Had similar problem on an 03 Terminator, is was the internal o rings within the oil cooler housing. Not a terrible repair but you would need special tool to remove the housing from block and the o rings them selves. May not be a serviceable item from Ford. Also check your oil if water in there def. have an internal leak. Good luck !

ShelbyVaprTrail

Established Member
Had a similar thing happen recently. Certainly sounds like it may be a oil cooler leak or possibly a freeze plug. I had both those on mine. I would suggest pressurizing the system and looking for leaks. Also a leak down and compression check just to be safe. I have seen the 2 o rings where the oil cooler attaches to the block get pinched and leaks start there. Has the motor ever been apart?

The motor hasn't been apart. The leak appears to be from the tube-like metal fitting on the adaptor. I don't see anything coming from the oil cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread