Coolant Leak at the Track!

pbeechner

Established Member
Hey Everyone!

Haven't been on in a while because of school/thesis work, but I had a problem at the drag strip on Friday night....

I did three runs (1/8th mile) and lined up and was staging for my fourth when I sprung a LARGE coolant leak. Big puddle under the car at the start line (pissed everyone off). Drove it out back to the pit and it was still pouring out the passenger side and steaming off the midpipe. Looked behind the pass. side head and determined the coolant was coming from that area. Couldn't see where from but I could see wetness on the firewall near the heater core hoses.

The reservoir still had plenty of coolant in it when it finally stopped pouring out behind the head (???????). I let it cool and poured some water into the reservoir and proceeded to drive it, thinking that as soon as the thermostat opened, I would lose everything, but I was able to drive it 20 miles to the only shop I trust to touch my car with the temperature never over 198 (?????).

It didn't leak anymore and wasn't leaking when I finally parked it. So, any ideas? I'm extremely confused. It was definitely coolant, and I don't know how I lost that much and was able to hold the temp at 198 to get it home...

:shrug::shrug::shrug:

Thanks!

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
My first thought was the little heater hose that is easily pinched if the engine is tilted back at all. But I'm not sure after reading about your "miracle" 20 mile trip w/o overheating?? I'm sure the shop will pressure test your system and find the leak. Did you ever add anything like Bars Leak (I think that's what it's called) or AlumiSeal?

pbeechner

Established Member
Yeah, I looked at the heater hoses as well as I could. I've never had a cooling issue so I've never used anything like Barsleak. The heater hoses don't seem to be pinched at all. I'm just baffled as to how I was able to drive it without overheating. I was just trying to get it far enough from the strip to get my roadside assistance to tow it lol.

I'm just hoping I didn't blow out the back of the head gasket.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Im thinking it could be from the coolant plug in the back of the head possibly? If it was a head gaskey issue it would be smoking

pbeechner

Established Member
Just got back from the shop, ended up being a bolt in the firewall that was rubbing on one of the heater hoses.

Pretty sure that I shifted the engine a small bit when I replaced the motor mounts.

Gonna get the hoses and replace them. Thanks guys!

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I have no idea why that bolt/stud is so long. If I ever take my motor out I'm going to cut that thing down. The little heater hose is right next to it ready to be pinched.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Hopefully nothing else was damaged on the drive. My Canton tank split along the seam while I was driving down the freeway one morning. I figured something was wrong by the white cloud behind my car. The whole time the temp gauge never went above half way. I figured it was because there was no coolant to touch the sending unit.

Users who are viewing this thread