Coolant plug on top of head popped off

cobra fern

Established Member
Was out for a ride and did a small pull and all of a sudden I smelled coolant and smoke was coming from under hood . Shut car off to see and the frost plug pooped off and was laying under the throttle body by the injector . It's the one on passenger side . What would of caused this . Thanks

cobra fern

Established Member
Also I can see it on the top of head behind supercharger. Does the whipple have to come off to fix it . Thanks for any advice .

cobra fern

Established Member
Car still runs normal and oil is good . Car has lean module and j&s vampire box . Just weird that plug popped off . Should I put one of those rubber freeze plug on or the stock ones . It looks like I can see it from behind the supercharger. Might be able to try it without removing whipple .

speedoflife

Established Member
....pooped off...

heh heh

Anyways back to being an adult. I think you'll be able to reinstall that without removing the supercharger. Could you snap a picture of it?

Just clean the hole out really well, put some sealant (permatex or something) on the plug, and drive it in with a socket head. Hopefully you have room!

cobra fern

Established Member
Looks pretty tight with all the stuff behind blower but I think it could be done . Hard to get picture with hoses in the way . But I'll move them to make room though . Thinking of putting silicone on a socket to guide it down and tap the plug down into head . See how it works . Really not wanting to take blower off .

cobra fern

Established Member
IMG_1025.JPG

MG0h3

Established Member
Ya but it's just sitting in there. Shouldn't be able to see the flat side at all once it's pressed in.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

MG0h3

Established Member
I would def. try and sneak a new one in there. Might have to get creative because getting a straight shot will be tough. May need to use leverage with something skinnier to hold down the hidden side while press on the other side.

Id get a couple or few ordered.

cobra fern

Established Member
New freeze plug ordered , be here Wednesday. Ordered a couple also . I'll also put red loctite on it when I install it . Gonna try to do it without removing blower . If it don't work I'll park it and do it next year . Colder weather coming soon . Thanks guys for the replies .

cobra fern

Established Member
Got plug on . Managed to get it on without removing whipple . Was tight though . Took the vacumm fittings off the back of whipple and gave me more room .

Users who are viewing this thread