Coolant question

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
Car is going to be sitting outside for a few days, and I know the coolant is only good to -20 Celcius (-4F), which it never gets in my garage. Outside its anywhere between -10 celcius to -40. The intercooler should be easy to take some out and replace with antifreeze, until its a good mixture.

Now, what is the best way to go about doing it in the regular system? I would figure removing some out of the coolant resevoir before it's at operating temp and replacing with antifreeze. But I'm not sure if the car cycles that collant at all, does it? If so this should be easier than I think. If not, then what direction should I go in?

Thanks in advance guys!

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
Car is going to be sitting outside for a few days, and I know the coolant is only good to -20 Celcius (-4F), which it never gets in my garage. Outside its anywhere between -10 celcius to -40. The intercooler should be easy to take some out and replace with antifreeze, until its a good mixture.

Now, what is the best way to go about doing it in the regular system? I would figure removing some out of the coolant resevoir before it's at operating temp and replacing with antifreeze. But I'm not sure if the car cycles that collant at all, does it? If so this should be easier than I think. If not, then what direction should I go in?

Thanks in advance guys!

A 50/50 mix of coolant is good to -35F what is your combination?

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
Probably a bit less than that(the car is new to me and that's what the tester tests it at) that's why I was wondering during what the easiest way to remove a bit of the current coolant and replace it with straight antifreeze and have it cycle through the system properly.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
thermostat housing & when filling fill rad to fill line then cap,the rest is done at the crossover pipe.

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
I was thinking that, or opening the drain on the rad. And letting a liter or two from the rad, and replace it with antifreeze. The coolant resevoir is connected straight to the rad, correct?

The question is, is the coolant in the resevoir actually cycled through the system. It gets warm with everything else, but you can't physically see it move. Weird cooling system on these cars. I'm using to upper and lower ran hose and thats it. LOL

Or is the only way to get it cycled by going through the crossover pipe?

Last edited:

slow2002gt

Detective Kia
Established Member
I was thinking that, or opening the drain on the rad. And letting a liter or two from the rad, and replace it with antifreeze. The coolant resevoir is connected straight to the rad, correct?

The question is, is the coolant in the resevoir actually cycled through the system. It gets warm with everything else, but you can't physically see it move. Weird cooling system on these cars. I'm using to upper and lower ran hose and thats it. LOL

Or is the only way to get it cycled by going through the crossover pipe?

it does go through the entire system just if you put coolant in the reservoir your not going to introduce as much as you want to up your mix.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
If you bought this car used you probably don't really know how old the antifreeze mixture is.

Even modern long life antifreeze will eventually have the corrosion inhibitors break down and they can become acidic.

If it was me I would plan on a complete cooling system flush, if for no other reason, I would now know exactly how old and at what antifreeze percentage my coolant is.

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
I do know the previous owner of the car, so it wasn't a blind used car buy. And the antifreeze has been replaced within the last 2 years. It's just something I checked on because I will be putting it outside for a few days while I work on a side project. And want to have an easy way of getting the rating up in my coolant before I move the car outside. I will be installing a lower temp thermostat in spring, so when I do that new stuff will be added to the proper temperature right off the bat.

RichM1983

Established Member
Could you not just drain the radiator then refill with straight antifreeze. Once that is done, start the car and let it get up to operating temps so the t-stat opens and at that point the coolant should circulate pretty well. Just let it idle and rev it some. That seems like a good idea but maybe someone can chime in otherwise.

Mystic03

Established Member
dont forget about the blower coolant! around this time of year a lot intercoolers crack!

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
dont forget about the blower coolant! around this time of year a lot intercoolers crack!

Thats done now! Took like 2 liters of straight antifreeze to get to a good enough mix. Wish the normal coolant was that good.

I'll just keep an eye on my garage temp in the colder days. And I have the car's block heater plugged in now, so that should at least keep the engine safe.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
If you bought this car used you probably don't really know how old the antifreeze mixture is.

Even modern long life antifreeze will eventually have the corrosion inhibitors break down and they can become acidic.

If it was me I would plan on a complete cooling system flush, if for no other reason, I would now know exactly how old and at what antifreeze percentage my coolant is.

This, OP check and confirm the dilution and freeze protection, switching to a elc would be beneficial for systems that see extreme tempature conditions

JSTBCUZ

Established Member
This, OP check and confirm the dilution and freeze protection, switching to a elc would be beneficial for systems that see extreme tempature conditions

Thats why I made this thread? I checked the freeze protection because I was going to be leaving it outside for a few days. It sits in my garage which never see's any worse than -10 degrees celcius.

I know the previous owner, and I know the coolant isn't old by any means.

I've plugged in the heater core and that bugger hums. Everything should be good now. I'll probably get a flush done next fall and have the proper mixture put in right off the bat so I don't have to worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread