Coolant system air bound??

RL1

Established Member
Have an 03, the Canton expansion/fill tank I had split so I replaced it with the new one they sent 2 days ago. Since then the car will not cool down...I installed the new tank, filled it with fluid and like an idiot didn't leave the cap off and let it run until the thermostat opened.

I had it out on the road and I noticed an immediate power loss along with the a/c not blowing cool air after 10-15 mins. Looked at the temp gage and it was at 3/4 :uh oh:

Took it home, let it cool down, started it with the cap off, waited for the thermostat to open and the level in the tank to drop but it didn't. When the thermostat opened the fans came on, the fluid level didn't drop but it would bubble, especially while reeving it a bit. I thought I had all the air out, placed the cap on, sat in the car with the a/c on and kept a steady 2.5k rev - the car started to creep toward the 1/2 way mark, a/c started to get warm then it got to the point of no return and the temp steadily started to climb.

At this point the fans aren't even on, temp is at 3/4 and the upper hose going straight to the motor is hard as a rock....I let the car sit over night hoping the air pocket would disperse but no luck, same thing over again today.

I'm wondering if the trapped air also damaged the thermostat and thats why I'm getting all these wacky fluctuations or is it just air in the system??

I was told to try and fill it from the center tube, haven't tried it yet, don't really see how I can do it ...extremely frustrated, cant understand why it didn't do this the first time I changed the tank either.

Last edited:

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Very easy to fill it from the center tube, take the plug out and fill it up. You can get the engine very full thru the bleeder on the coolant outlet. With a half a jug of collant you dont even need a funnel, if you cant hit the hole grab a funnel.

coild

Established Member
You have air in your system. These cars are very picky about that.
You must fill the cooling system thru the crossover tube plug. Remove plug with a 1/4" socket. You may need to heat the plug with a torch to remove it. I had to. Of course, make sure the car has sat overnite before doing this. After crossover plug is removed, remove degas bottle cap. It is best if you can find a funnel that will fit snugly in the crossover fill plug hole. Start pouring the yellow coolant into the funnel. Fill unti the degas bottle is filled to the bottom of the cap opening. Install the degas bottle cap. Continue filling until the level in the crossover tube is to the top of hole. Install plug. Do NOT over-tighten it. It seals with an O-ring, so it does not need to be too tight.
Run engine or drive car with heater temp at max. Keep an eye on the temp gauge. You should be ok. Let her sit all night and check the level in the degas bottle. Re-fill as necessary using the same method to achieve the proper level in the degas bottle. Good luck. Its not hard, just different than the older hot rods we used to play with.

RL1

Established Member
Thanks guys, I figured it was the cap that took the 1/4 inch drive but wasn't positive :)

When you say degas bottle I'm assuming your speaking of the coolant bottle/ reservoir/ expansion tank?

chevysRslow

Established Member
Yes, he's referring to the coolant bottle. I'd suggest running the engine while the funnel is in the crossover (with the heater on). Keep filling it there until it won't take any more. Will take a while to get all the air out.

RL1

Established Member
Thanks guys, it's all set. Filled it through the tube, let it sit in the garage running with the defoggers on high heat for about 15 mins - decided to take it for a 2 mile run and it was absolutely fine, never quite hit the 1/2 point on the gauge in 92 degree humid weather. I'll check the levels tomorrow morning, if it needs more i'll fill it through the tube like you said.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread