coolant temp sensor

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
Where is the most accurate place to put aftermarket temp sensor? I have had mine in the cross over burp cap for a while now and never had problems intill I moved to Arizona! My gauge got up to 247 today while driving down the road. And of course the stock gauge reads normal. Just worried me cause I know the cross tube is not the hottest spot. And to see it get that high is scary.

Mystic03

Established Member
My gauge read pretty high untill I got my 170* now it reads quite accurate :shrug: my sensor is at the bottom for the driverside block

racebronco2

Established Member
My gauge read pretty high untill I got my 170* now it reads quite accurate :shrug: my sensor is at the bottom for the driverside block

Around 200* both gauges will read about the same but as soon as the engine temps go higher the sensor in the block will show a higher temp.

sonic cobra

Established Member
So which location would show the truer reading? I thought the block would be best, so located there very close to the exhaust manifold. Speed hut guage hit 250* as I exited the track and hasn't worked since. When i went to unplug it at the sensor, the plastic plug crumbled in my hand. I was going to relocate the sensor to the crossover tube Good idea?
Also reset the alarm from 240* down to 230*

Mystic03

Established Member
So which location would show the truer reading? I thought the block would be best, so located there very close to the exhaust manifold. Speed hut guage hit 250* as I exited the track and hasn't worked since. When i went to unplug it at the sensor, the plastic plug crumbled in my hand. I was going to relocate the sensor to the crossover tube Good idea?
Also reset the alarm from 240* down to 230*

mine is at the block as well it gives very accurate reading at cruising speed but when racing it does jump a bit high but no higher than 210*

LS-WHAT

why-try
Established Member
So what's the temp difference, between block and the heads for those that have had them in both spots. Are we talking more then 20 degrees?

Users who are viewing this thread