"cooler question"

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
i have a quick question reguarding the JLP powercooler or supercooler. ive read up on these 2 items :read: but i really dont see folks talking much about em. :shrug: these mods can increase rwhp but i want know know from Lightning owners who have them and how it made a difference in the performance area. or is it worth the money its priced at. thanks fellas. :thumbsup:

ron_lightning04

Established Member
well for one thing ti si over priced but the only thing i have seen it good for is more consistnt times but only no one person with one and i am going to run one shortly

lates ron,

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
klrsvt said:
the one you mount in the bed needs to be refilled with ice every time you run

Every time?? That doesn't quite make sense to me. What about the one that goes under the hood? I myself have been wondering why there isn't much talk about these. It seems I need one and it would be beneficial to help preventing heat soak when hot lapping.

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
i am very interested in this since i am in Orlando and i would like to run my truck during the summer months without breaking something.

98RICKSTANG

Banned
not to get off the subject but you migt want to watch it when you hot lap,i know freinds that broke alot of tranny from not letting them cool down.just a bit of advice.

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
well like i said. not alot of people talk much about em. i was hoping for someone to post up numbers (hp/tq) to see what kind of gains people can expect from this upgrade but it doesnt look like many people have this upgrade. :nono:

'02Silver

Established Member
There has been much in-depth discussion about the powercooler over on nloc.net. It's only good for the track to help keep your times consistent. Guys that run them claim around a .2 tenths gain in the 1/4 mile. If you don't go to the track then don't waste your money on it because the ice only lasts for about 20 minutes before having to drain it out and refill again. I'm currently in the process of finishing my version of the powercooler. I couldn't see spending $350 on something that can't be made inexpensively if you have the know how. Both the "under hood" powercooler and "in the bed" supercooler have to be drained and refilled every run. The only difference between the 2 is the supercooler is bigger with approx. 35 ft. of copper tubing inside compared to approx 25 ft. of tubing that the powercooler has.

Last edited:

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
[QUOTE='02Silver]There has been much in-depth discussion about the powercooler over on nloc.net. It's only good for the track to help keep your times consistent. Guys that run them claim around a .2 tenths gain in the 1/4 mile. If you don't go to the track then don't waste your money on it because the ice only lasts for about 20 minutes before having to drain it out and refill again. I'm currently in the process of finishing my version of the powercooler. I couldn't see spending $350 on something that can't be made inexpensively if you have the know how. Both the "under hood" powercooler and "in the bed" supercooler have to be drained and refilled every run. The only difference between the 2 is the supercooler is bigger with approx. 35 ft. of copper tubing inside compared to approx 25 ft. of tubing that the powercooler has.[/QUOTE]

hey man thanks for the info. when i read the specs about both power and super cooler it says that it will 'dramatically' increase horsepower. i know vendors always over shoot with HP #'s so i was thinking about maybe 16-21 hp gain. and at least a .4-.6 sec. improvement. but its always good to get others folks expirience. thanks 02Silver :)

'02Silver

Established Member
You're welcome. One question I asked myself is, if a power/super cooler adds a noticeable gain in horsepower then why doesn't other vendors sell them other than just JLP?" Since it doesn't other vendors probably feel that it's not worth their time to produce and sell them.

Last edited:

thubigdawg

GO CANES!!!
Established Member
02 youre right but there is a similar product out there that is kinda similar and i do somewhat here about quite frequently. its from snowperformance.net. its called the boost cooler. ive been researching this product for quite some time but also not much talked about.

http://www.snowperformance.net/products.asp?id=1

check out the stage 1 and stage 2 and tell me what u think. supposebly these products are just about a garuntee in hp gains and this is prolly my next upgrade. cya 02. :beer:

Last edited:

boostdacr

Removed by Admin.
Established Member
what does this cooler do?? how does it work? Is it the some concept as whats going to be coming out on the 3rd gen Lightnings but just with ice instead of a/c?

'02Silver

Established Member
After doing some research on nloc.net and f150online.com about water/methanol injection. It helps you to run very high boost and high timing without detonation on pump gas but you'll need to get your chip re-tuned or you won't notice any gain. Looks like 30 RWHP/40 RWTQ is gained but this comes from the higher boost & timing. The water/methanol just helps the motor from detonating from what I gathered. Here's some links that I've been reading:
http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172889&highlight=water+injection
http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151219&highlight=water+injection
http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129206&highlight=water+injection
http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41873&highlight=water/methanol+injection
http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21790&highlight=water/methanol+injection

Last edited:

ron_lightning04

Established Member
hmm ok so if injection kit dont work then boom lol thats ok i will just stick to the boost i should run lol i will be running to much how it is lol

lates ron,

Users who are viewing this thread