Cooler Thermostat

missile man

Established Member
Has anyone replaced thier thermostat with a cooler one? Was wondering what kind of work is involved and are there any quirks I might want to look out for.:shrug: :coolman:

Last edited:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
The T-stat sits in a small housing on drivers side in the hose. There is nothing but a small "O" ring. Be carefull not to overtighten it or it will leak. I have the 180 in mine. Going too cold may cause problems. Make sure to "burp" system by filling fuild on the black "stove pipe" to get air out of system or you will overheat.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
The T-stat sits in a small housing on drivers side in the hose. There is nothing but a small "O" ring. Be carefull not to overtighten it or it will leak. I have the 180 in mine. Going too cold may cause problems. Make sure to "burp" system by filling fuild on the black "stove pipe" to get air out of system or you will overheat.

The Stock T stat is a 180

Radiator Cap Pressure Test Specifications 110 kPa (16 psi)
Thermostat Opening Temperatures
Starts to open (Cobra) 80-83°C (175-182F°)
Fully open 104°C (219F°)

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
I know High Roller uses a 160 with good results, maybe he will chime in but I am pretty sure he gained something with it!!!

missile man

Established Member
Thanks for the responses so far. I am more concerned with the longevity of the engine but won't mind the extra HP. Doesn't sound too hard. Does anyone know where to order the 160 degree T-stat?

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by missile man
Thanks for the responses so far. I am more concerned with the longevity of the engine but won't mind the extra HP. Doesn't sound too hard. Does anyone know where to order the 160 degree T-stat?

South Florida Pulley Headquaters has them..

BAD03SVT

Established Member
sweet let us know how you liked it? if you noticed a big running temp difference and if it runs better.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I thought I read that just changing the thermostat would not make much difference or any at all? I thought in addition to the lower temp thermostat you also needed to program the ECU to kick the cooling fans on to see any benefit? :shrug:

U.M.

musclesBMF

Established Member
I ran a 160 in my 95 s/c cobra and the difference was night and day before I chipped it. After I got it dyno tuned with a new chip and the fans came on sooner, the temp would barely reach the 'O' in NORMAL on the temp guage. I don't know why a T-stat wouldn't work the same on these cars.

Tempest

Established Member
Here's three ways the lower t-stat could help without worrying about ECU programming:

1) If you are concerned your car is running hot on hot days, then you probably have your A/C on, which means the fan is on all the time regardless of engine temp.

2) If your A/C is not on, by the time the water temperature gets to the point of turning the fan on, the thermostat is much farther open than the stock t-stat, allowing more water to flow, improving the cooling.

3) Do the fan switch mod ($5) and don't worry about when the ECU turns on the fans--you control it.

Just a slight warning: to those of you with the overheating problem, I'm not sure how Ford will repsond with overheating warrenty issues when you have replaced the t-stat with one outside their specs.

missile man

Established Member
Tempest, Great point on the warranty issue, I have 2 years left on mine and don't want to mess up. I will order the t-stat and report back on what happens.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
I am not sure it is worth the hassle. I have one from South Florida Pulley, but have not installed it as yet. No overheating issues even when it is 110 and the A/C is on.

Users who are viewing this thread